PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] adding 1366x768 screen resolution to amd machine

Hairygrump
August 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Hello. I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 onto a Gateway Lt3108h net book with an ATI/Radeon chipset. I have installed FGLRX so that the screen is stable but I need to add a resolution of 1366x768. I have been searching for the correct set of commands to do this in Terminal but I'm not having any luck. I am a very basic user so something simple would help immensely. Any help would be appreciated here.

I have already downloaded and installed
ATI binary x.org driver
Jockey kde
Jockey gtk

Thanks

Ubun2to
August 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM
From what I have seen, 1366x768 isn't a very common screen resolution, usually reserved for laptops (like my System76 Lemur Ultra). Is this for a desktop or a laptop? If it's for a desktop, you might as well replace the monitor with a more common size (or, use a higher screen resolution).

Grenage
August 1st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Hello. I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 onto a Gateway Lt3108h net book with an ATI/Radeon chipset. I have installed FGLRX so that the screen is stable but I need to add a resolution of 1366x768.

I normally avoid downloading and installing the drivers manually, as they won't be automatically included when a new kernel comes along (I could be wrong here, but I'll be undoubtedly corrected if so).

Regardless, you can either set the resolution using xrandr (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution/), or xorg.conf (http://www.grenage.com/xorg.html). I prefer the latter, the majority probably prefer the former.

Hairygrump
August 2nd, 2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks, used xorg.conf and it seems to have worked. Hopefully it stays that way. When I entered the mode lines into the terminal it said that it didn't understand subsection or section commands. Does this mean I screwed something up or is it normal?

Hairygrump
August 2nd, 2012, 06:06 AM
ARRRG!!!! Ran an update, restarted the computer and it reverted back to the original resolution 0f 1280x800. The 1366x768 resolution dosen't even show up in the display menu. What the hell happened? Do I need to do something to make this a permanent setting?

QIII
August 2nd, 2012, 06:08 AM
if you ran an update and it updated the kernel, then this is not unexpected if you manually installed the driver after downloading it from AMD's website..

Installing the driver from the repo ensures that it is compiled into the new kernel during normal updates. When manually installed, a reinstall is required after a kernel update.

Hairygrump
August 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
ok, now I'm way in over my head. Not sure what updated, just followed the prompts the computer gave me. I have made so many changes that I have no idea which driver is doing what. I reran the original moniter reconfiguration and its not doing anything now. Can someone walk me through this step by step in plain simple english. It shouldn't be this hard to get a simple screen res. Right????? I hope

Grenage
August 2nd, 2012, 08:18 AM
I assume that under 'Additional Drivers', you'll get a list of several ATI/AMD drivers, if you activate one from there, I believe it should include it in future kernel updates.