PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jail a user to their home directory

DanHorniblow
August 1st, 2012, 12:51 AM
Hi, I am looking for a method to which will jail a user to their home directory when they SSH to the server.

I don't want to change system wide permissions for this use as I guess there will be system files somewhere that they would need read or write access to.

Is this possible?

Thanks Dan

HermanAB
August 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM
$ man sshd_config

Look for the ChrootDirectory paragraph.

DanHorniblow
August 2nd, 2012, 04:36 PM
$ man sshd_config

Look for the ChrootDirectory paragraph.

Hi I have read what you suggested and I can't seem to make much sence out of it. Is the manual referring to jailing users to their home dirrectory when they start a sftp session?

As I want to to jail them to their home directory when they console in to the server via SSH.

Sorry I am a little new to things like this.

Thanks Dan

Lars Noodén
August 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
ChrootDirectory is easiest when used for SFTP only but it can be used for an interactive shell session, too. You will have to populate the chroot jail with the appropriate devices and utilities. Another gotcha is that all components of the chroot jail's pathname must be root-owned directories that are not writable by any other user or group.

Here is one description of using chroot. It's down the page after the SFTP example.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/chroot-users-with-openssh-an-easier-way-to-confine-users-to-their-home-directories/229