PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Messed up my destop

Doodaad
July 31st, 2012, 08:00 PM
I have been using kde on my Dell inspiron 1300 for some time now and I got the bright idea to remove gnome completely. I did a apt-get remove gnome* and restarted. Now i get an error that X cannot find any device drivers and gives me the option to start in low graphics mode. It gets stuck on Checking battery. Pressing alt+f2 logging in and typing startx starts KDE and all seems normal except the system runs very hot and Games freeze on load screen.
I reinstalled Kubuntu desktop and I still have to alt f2 and startx. Is there a way to force x-11/ kde to reconfigure the display? Please let me know any info you need me to post. the graphics chip is an Intel 915GM/GSM/910GML.

Thanks

Doodaad
August 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
I have been using kde on my Dell inspiron 1300 for some time now and I got the bright idea to remove gnome completely. I did a apt-get remove gnome* and restarted. Now i get an error that X cannot find any device drivers and gives me the option to start in low graphics mode. It gets stuck on Checking battery. Pressing alt+f2 logging in and typing startx starts KDE and all seems normal except the system runs very hot and Games freeze on load screen.
I reinstalled Kubuntu desktop and I still have to alt f2 and startx. Is there a way to force x-11/ kde to reconfigure the display? Please let me know any info you need me to post. the graphics chip is an Intel 915GM/GSM/910GML.

Thanks

Can anyone help me out?

First Taste Hooks You
August 4th, 2012, 02:53 AM
So you install Ubuntu and then installed kubuntu-desktop package and now you want to remove the ubuntu/gnome parts?

If you wish to do this then, you should get a new kubuntu iso or reinstall the gnome packages and remove the ubuntu-desktop package.

claracc
August 4th, 2012, 10:01 AM
you can try to run the grub recovery mode and fix broken packages:

http://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/ubuntu-not-booting-try-repairing-broken-packages-in-recovery-mode/

stanciugabriel
August 4th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Or, if nothing works, there is always an reinstall.

Doodaad
August 11th, 2012, 08:25 PM
grub recovery did not help. I am going to back up my data and reinstall. Thanks