PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gateway+Web Hosting Server

burntflowers
July 31st, 2012, 08:37 AM
Hi,

Last week I built a rig to use as a gateway throughout my house, running two different subnet. A friend of mine recommended ClearOS, however I am not familiar with it, it took some time before I was able to get it running.

I am able to host web sites from my house, I have a home office internet with static IP and such I was wondering if Ubuntu Server would allow me to use the rig I built as a gateway and also a web server. I know that ClearOS can do this as well but I am more familiar with Ubuntu. My domains don't get a lot of traffic and paying someone else to host them wasn't the original idea.

So can Ubuntu Server be installed to run as a gateway, and allow for web hosting?

Grenage
July 31st, 2012, 08:43 AM
So can Ubuntu Server be installed to run as a gateway, and allow for web hosting?

It can indeed, and with tools such as Webmin, administration can be that little bit easier*.

*subjective.

burntflowers
July 31st, 2012, 09:21 AM
This is good, thanks. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't be possible. I've put this project off for a long time and I need to get started on it hopefully this weekend, my next bill cycle is in a couple of weeks so I still have some time to get it installed, tested, and running.

Grenage
July 31st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Both gateways and webservers are common services, so you should have no issues getting help around here, if you run into problems.