PDA

View Full Version : An irritating chrome feature

Scooter_X
July 31st, 2012, 03:27 AM
Hey gang, screenie for you in the attachments.

On Chrome, every time I type 'google' it brings that little thing up and expects me to enter something to search for. Most of the time, I'm looking for some google product that I am curious about, and don't want to type 'google google product'. Same goes for many other sites. For instance Catch.com - I had a question about the mobile app, and tried to type into the address bar 'catch.com mobile app', but it brought up a similar bar like that. Does anyone know what it is that makes it do that? Or how to turn the dang thing off? As it is the address bar doubles as a search bar, it seems awfully redundant. Grr. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

juancarlospaco
July 31st, 2012, 03:45 AM
You can disable/enable/tweak on:

about:flags

vasa1
July 31st, 2012, 03:54 AM
Hey gang, screenie for you in the attachments.

On Chrome, every time I type 'google' it brings that little thing up and expects me to enter something to search for. ...
Do you see it if you disable all your extensions?
Could it be you've installed an extension that does this? I don't have that feature. And what version of Chrome are you on?

Scooter_X
July 31st, 2012, 03:57 AM
I turned of all extensions, same deal.

Chromium
18.0.1025.151 (Developer Build 130497 linux) Built on Ubuntu 11.04, running on LinuxMint 11

The most irritating is that my chromium on my netbook is the exact same version, same OS, etc. It has the same extensions that I was just running on my large laptop, which is the problem system. But doesn't have that problem.

vasa1
July 31st, 2012, 04:13 AM
I turned of all extensions, same deal.

Chromium
18.0.1025.151 (Developer Build 130497 linux) Built on Ubuntu 11.04, running on LinuxMint 11

The most irritating is that my chromium on my netbook is the exact same version, same OS, etc. It has the same extensions that I was just running on my large laptop, which is the problem system. But doesn't have that problem.

1. There is a Mint forum.
2. The Mint people, AFAIK, do something about search engines to earn revenue.
3. Better ask there.

Scooter_X
July 31st, 2012, 04:16 AM
Yeah I know, that's my next-most-preferred forum. I just was thinking it was a general chrome thing. I'll head over there, though I already had disabled the specific mint plugin as well. Thanks!

vasa1
July 31st, 2012, 04:30 AM
Yeah I know, that's my next-most-preferred forum. I just was thinking it was a general chrome thing. I'll head over there, though I already had disabled the specific mint plugin as well. Thanks!
There's also http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/chrome/linux

Copper Bezel
July 31st, 2012, 06:06 AM
Google Custom Search (the blue box indicating that you're searching within a site) only appears when I hit Tab. So I can type G-O and hit Tab, and I'll get the Google search bar you show above, or A-M-A and Tab for Amazon etc., but I can still search for Google or Amazon or eBay or anything else just by typing the name and hitting Enter.

This feature does seem neurotic, which is irritating, because it's a very nice feature to skip a step when it's wanted. I have a friend who uses Windows for whom the Custom Search feature appears, but not as the first entry in the omnibox, so she has to use the arrow key or tab to get down to it (making it fairly useless.)

vasa1
July 31st, 2012, 06:52 AM
Google Custom Search (the blue box indicating that you're searching within a site) only appears when I hit Tab. ...
Interesting! I don't see any box at all.
I don't remember seeing it with earlier versions of Chrome either. Are you also using Chromium?

Copper Bezel
July 31st, 2012, 07:03 AM
No, I'm using Chrome, but I don't imagine this would be different between the two. It wasn't appearing on my friend's machine at all, but it came up after we tried toggling Instant Search on and off again (but then with, of course, the problem I mentioned earlier.) I don't have Instant turned on on my machine, and I can't see anything relating to the Custom Search in About:Flags.

Damn. This is getting strange.

vasa1
July 31st, 2012, 07:12 AM
No, I'm using Chrome, but I don't imagine this would be different between the two. ...
I thought that Chromium has been Ubuntified and that may explain it.
Anyway, I don't see it and never have. I even tried changing from the GTK theme to the Classic one, and turning on Instant Search, but no sign of that.

Lucradia
July 31st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Not as irritating as these "features:"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1758275