PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ASUS X101-EU17-BK Running 12.04, Questions.

ravemirror
July 31st, 2012, 02:26 AM
Hello All,

Just about a little over a week ago, I purchased a new ASUS X101-EU17-BK from Amazon. Imeediately I replaced the terrible meego OS with 12.04 LTS. Everything was smooth and dandy until one night I let the battery drain entirely. Afterwards it wouldn't turn on, it only indicated by battery LED that it was below the 10% threshold, it wouldn't even boot. So I returned it to Amazon and now I'm waiting for a new ASUS X101-EU17-BK. (I've upgraded it to 2 GB's from the stock 1GB)

Though, I plan on installing 12.04 LTS again, my questions after using it for the short time that I had it are as follows:

-Is their a smaller version of 12.04 LTS out there that I can benefit more form the ASUS X101-EU17-BK small 8GB SSD?

-I only plan on using this Net-book for LIGHT internet browsing, and HEAVY school work through the Microsoft Word equivalent program that's installed on it.

I can really list all the programs that I'll be using the netbook for:

-Light use of Skype

-Word Document(Ubuntu equivalent, forgot the name :( )

-iBus (To type in Japanese)

-VLC for occasional watching of movies.

-Firefox for light internet browsing.

So how can I find a version of ubuntu that meets my specifications? Or do I have to uninstall everything myself? Or is LTS light as it is...sorry for the stupid questions, this is my first time using ubuntu and I've enjoyed it thus far.

Coming from Windows, I always enjoyed the feeling of having a freshly installed OS onto a computer, though, since ubuntu is a bit alien to me, I'm not sure what exactly is being installed onto the PC.

Also, in order to avoid the Battery issue, that I've read others come across...how do I avoid this, besides the obvious, is their some sort of way to get the computer from screwing up again when it hits 0% on the battery... : /..... I'm not familiar with the power saving options, nor did I even look at it.

Thanks for reading and helping,

:)
-Richie

electricmaster
July 31st, 2012, 02:47 AM
The power saving thing, imo, was probably just a fluke. Maybe you got a bad battery/cord that didn't want to charge; I've found that Ubuntu is pretty good with its battery meter.
As for the change in version, I know there used to be a netbook mix, but that merged with the desktop edition after 10.04 You could also look into the other Ubuntu distributions, XUbuntu (http://xubuntu.org/about/) is supposed to be good on the hardware.

ravemirror
July 31st, 2012, 03:18 AM
The power saving thing, imo, was probably just a fluke. Maybe you got a bad battery/cord that didn't want to charge; I've found that Ubuntu is pretty good with its battery meter.
As for the change in version, I know there used to be a netbook mix, but that merged with the desktop edition after 10.04 You could also look into the other Ubuntu distributions, XUbuntu (http://xubuntu.org/about/) is supposed to be good on the hardware.

Would that particular OS use the same Word program? and all the other programs that I mentioned?

Also, I too thought I had a malfunctioned unit...but I came across this thread earlier, so it may or may not be hardware related.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1894460