PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I seem to have uninstalled Unity, how do I get it back?

picklemaster246
July 30th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Couple of questions:

In an attempt to get wallpapers to stay "wallpapered" in xfce, I deleted Nautilus because some guy said that might have solved the issues. When I rebooted, the Unity options are missing and all I have are xfce session, Xubuntu Session, and the GNOME classic options when logging in. Even reinstalling Nautilus doesn't bring back the Unity option. How do I get Unity back?

How do I get wallpapers to stick in xfce?

Finally, how would I uninstall xfce? The official website says to install xubuntu-desktop, which is how I got xfce in the first place, but after sudo apt-get remove xubuntu-desktop, the xfce session and Xubuntu session options are still useable when I log in. If I'm not being clear on stuff, let me know please. Help is very much appreciated.

IWantFroyo
July 30th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Use this to get rid of XFCE:

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/pureubuntu

As for Unity:

sudo apt-get install unity?

markbl
July 31st, 2012, 12:03 AM
Rather than install unity package as above post, you are best to do:

apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

ajgreeny
July 31st, 2012, 12:03 AM
This may be too late, but to run nautilus successfully without it taking over the desktop and causing problems in xfce (xubuntu) you need to edit the nautilus.desktop file in /usr/share/applications and change the Exec=nautilus line to Exec=nautilus --no-desktop. Any other instances of the launcher also need to be changed.

Without that edit nautilus attempts take over and write the desktop when you first start it in a session, just as it does in gnome, and that can have some strange effects on the display of wallpapers, etc etc.

picklemaster246
July 31st, 2012, 12:54 AM
Rather than install unity package as above post, you are best to do:

This worked!

This may be too late, but to run nautilus successfully without it taking over the desktop and causing problems in xfce (xubuntu) you need to edit the nautilus.desktop file in /usr/share/applications and change the Exec=nautilus line to Exec=nautilus --no-desktop. Any other instances of the launcher also need to be changed.

Without that edit nautilus attempts take over and write the desktop when you first start it in a session, just as it does in gnome, and that can have some strange effects on the display of wallpapers, etc etc.

This didn't. The image I want as my wallpaper is on my Windows partition and I selected the image through a symbolic link, so would that cause problems? What do you mean by "launcher", just any button?

ajgreeny
July 31st, 2012, 09:00 PM
This worked!

This didn't. The image I want as my wallpaper is on my Windows partition and I selected the image through a symbolic link, so would that cause problems? What do you mean by "launcher", just any button?
What I meant was that any other instances of the nautilus.desktop file (the launcher I spoke of) may need to have that edited command, but as it did not help your problem you can forget about it for now.

However, as an example, if I run xubuntu with a conky display on the desktop with a transparent window, as soon as I run nautilus without the no-desktop option, it tries to take over the desktop display and my conky window looses transparency. Not a major disaster, but annoying. I thought your problem might be related to that, but I suspect that it may be more to do with the fact that the image you want to use is linked to from a windows partition.

kansasnoob
July 31st, 2012, 09:38 PM
rather than install unity package as above post, you are best to do:

+1!

picklemaster246
August 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM
but I suspect that it may be more to do with the fact that the image you want to use is linked to from a windows partition.

Yep, this was the problem. Thanks a bunch!