PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to backup files



peterson43
July 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I use Deja Dup for backups of my home directory. I have it set to automatically backup every day, and every day I get an error message saying that two of the files failed to back up. The message says

Could not back up the following files. Please make sure you are able to open them.
One of these files is a place where I hide some password information. Sometime after my initial backup of my home drive I realized that file was readable by all users so I changed it to only be accessible by root. After I made this change I started seeing this file on the list of files that doesn't back up correctly.

The other files that don't backup correctly are in the
HOME/.config/nautilus-actions directory. When I check the permissions of this folder, I am listed as the owner but with the permissions are set to "no list, create/delete, access." Is this the standard/normal permissions setting for this folder or should it be something different. I don't ever remember changing the permissions for this folder.

Also, one thing I tried to do to keep getting the error messages from Deja Dup was to add the .config/nautilus-actions folder to the list of folders to NOT backup in the Deja Dup settings. For some reason this doesn't seem to work since I still get the same error message every time.

NikTh
July 30th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hi ,

it seems you are affected by this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus-actions/+bug/1000543 .

So the solution for now might be to change the permissions with chmod command .


chmod -R u+r .config/nautilus-actions

Thanks

peterson43
August 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Your suggestion to change the file permissions for the .config/nautilus-actions folder seems to have worked. I didn't get the error message today when the backup took place. Also, to avoid getting the error message for the file with my passwords I created a new folder just for this file and then instructed Deja Dup to ignore backing up this folder. Seems to have worked.