PDA

View Full Version : [other] What kind of ubuntu should I get for my computer?

willneu97
July 29th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Dell Dimension 3000
512 MB RAM
Intel Pentium 4 3.00 gHz

If you need any other info about the computer, ask

Laiquendi
July 29th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I would recommend Lubuntu since it's the most lightweight distribution :)

TeamRocket1233c
July 29th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Wirephire
July 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I would recommend Lubuntu since it's the most lightweight distribution :)
One more vote for Lubuntu. It works good even on lower spec machines.

Peripheral Visionary
July 29th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I have the very same computer, same RAM, and Xubuntu runs wonderfully on it! Lubuntu is technically more "lightweight," but I experience no discernible difference in performance on my Dell Dimension between one and the other.

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are definitely too much for our low-spec machines, but Xubu and Lubu will run fine on them. You might also try the ultralight Bodhi Linux (http://www.bodhilinux.com/) (based on Ubuntu) for it's really fun, very pretty Enlightenment desktop.

dodo3773
July 29th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I have gotten into the habit of refurbishing old computers with GNU lately and my new pick is CrunchBang. I know it's not a Ubuntu spin (Debian based) but after trying it out recently I am very impressed. Doubt I will go back to using anything else. Unless I was starting from just a base / core system install and really wanted to put a lot of time into it.

Cheesemill
July 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I have gotten into the habit of refurbishing old computers with GNU lately and my new pick is CrunchBang. I know it's not a Ubuntu spin (Debian based) but after trying it out recently I am very impressed. Doubt I will go back to using anything else. Unless I was starting from just a base / core system install and really wanted to put a lot of time into it.

+1 for CrunchBang.

It used to be based on Ubuntu but is now based on Debian Squeeze instead to provide a more stable OS.

It's my OS of choice for low-end machines.

willneu97
July 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I have the very same computer, same RAM, and Xubuntu runs wonderfully on it! Lubuntu is technically more "lightweight," but I experience no discernible difference in performance on my Dell Dimension between one and the other.

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are definitely too much for our low-spec machines, but Xubu and Lubu will run fine on them. You might also try the ultralight Bodhi Linux (http://www.bodhilinux.com/) (based on Ubuntu) for it's really fun, very pretty Enlightenment desktop.

Thanks!