PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] mdadm and email

davidesweden
July 29th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Hi,

I have a problem with mdadm and email. I would like to receive an email whenever there is a problem with my RAID. The error I get when running the command below to test whether the email is configured correctly is:

mdadm --monitor --scan --test --oneshot
sendmail: 501 Syntax error in arguments

I believe ssmtp is configured correctly as the test email sent using the command below works fine.
echo test|sendmail MYEMAIL

I configured the ssmtp using:
root=MYEMAIL
mailhub=smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465
rewriteDomain=
hostname=MYEMAIL
UseTLS=YES
#UseSTARTTLS=YES
FromLineOverride=YES

mdadm.conf file looks like:
MAILADDR MYEMAIL

Any clue what the problem might be?
Thank you!

rubylaser
July 30th, 2012, 06:24 PM
What if you try to send your test email like this via mdadm?

mdadm --monitor -m youruser@yahoo.com /dev/md0 -t

davidesweden
July 31st, 2012, 06:26 AM
What if you try to send your test email like this via mdadm?

mdadm --monitor -m youruser@yahoo.com /dev/md0 -t

Same error:
sendmail: 501 Syntax error in arguments

and the prompt does not come back...

SeijiSensei
July 31st, 2012, 04:12 PM
How about trying this instead?

In /etc/aliases create an alias like this:

notify: root,you@example.com

replacing "you@example.com" with the address you wish to receive notices. Then run the command "sudo newaliases" to rebuild the database.

If you don't have the command-line mail program installed already, use "sudo apt-get install mailutils" to get it. Then send the notify alias a message:

echo 'Hello' | mail -s 'test my connection' notify

Does a copy of the message appear in /var/spool/mail/root? Does one get sent to you at the address you specified in the alias?

If that all works, then try the method rubylaser suggested replacing the email address with "notify".

Are you not able to send mail on port 25? If you can, try removing the TLS parts of the configuration and use regular ESMTP.

davidesweden
July 31st, 2012, 05:20 PM
How about trying this instead?

In /etc/aliases create an alias like this:

notify: root,you@example.com

replacing "you@example.com" with the address you wish to receive notices. Then run the command "sudo newaliases" to rebuild the database.

If you don't have the command-line mail program installed already, use "sudo apt-get install mailutils" to get it. Then send the notify alias a message:

echo 'Hello' | mail -s 'test my connection' notify

Does a copy of the message appear in /var/spool/mail/root? Does one get sent to you at the address you specified in the alias?

If that all works, then try the method rubylaser suggested replacing the email address with "notify".

Are you not able to send mail on port 25? If you can, try removing the TLS parts of the configuration and use regular ESMTP.

Thank you. I added the entry in /etc/aliases and run newaliases.
This message appears: "newaliases: Aliases are not used in sSMTP"
It seems aliases is not used anymore in sSMTP (I use lubuntu 12.04).

The command "echo 'Hello' | mail -s 'test my connection' notify" does not work. Nothing is in /var/spool/mail/root either.

However, mail is configured correctly: "echo 'Hello' | mail -s 'test my connection' MYEMAIL" works perfectly.