PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about Haiku (BeOS)?

pcfast
July 29th, 2012, 03:16 AM
My friend the other day told me about BeOS and said "It was the best operating system I have ever seen!" He was telling me about all the features and things you could do with BeOS and I was really impressed. Seems like a really interesting and useful OS that just couldn't get traction.

What got him really excited was when he told me about a group of programmers trying to bring it back with Haiku. It is an open source version that will not use the Linux kernel.

I am curios to hear what the Linux community thinks about Haiku and BeOS? Will you use or develop for Haiku?

http://www.haiku-os.org/

lykwydchykyn
July 29th, 2012, 04:11 AM
It's a neat project, and I like to keep tabs on how it's coming now and then. But I kind of feel it's the sort of project that will be irrelevant by the time it's ready. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. That'd be cool.

pcfast
July 29th, 2012, 04:48 AM
M friend was really excited when he was telling me about it and said he knew people who were developing for it. There is clearly still a devote following.

I think if Haiku is going to be successful outside of hardcore computer geeks it needs to find a niche. They should adapt a Haiku version for tablets, since I know a lot of graphic designers and 3D modelers are not happy with the current available software and OS offerings.

Primefalcon
July 29th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I've heard it's fast, not 100% sure beyond that, never directly used but I read up on it here and there... seems like a project that may go somewhere unlike reactOS

lz1dsb
July 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Few months ago there was a long article in the IEEE Spectrum Magzazine about Haiku. It looks like an interesting project, though the development and the user base are limited. From what I've read Haiku is something quite different from Linux. So it's really interesting what the Linux community thinks about Haiku/BeOS...

lykwydchykyn
July 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I think if Haiku is going to be successful outside of hardcore computer geeks it needs to find a niche.

That's the real trick for any OS. The problem is that there aren't many niches left. The tablet space is crowded; Android and iOS are already battling it out, Windows 8 is gearing up to enter the fray, and running about the feet of the titans are a bunch of also-rans like WebOS, Meego, plasma-active, and blackberry OS.

Seems like multimedia is the ultimate focus of the project, but so far I don't see any applications for serious multimedia work. If there were drivers for pro and semi-pro audio cards, and a decent DAW program, I'd nuke my ubuntustudio for it (no more JACK/ALSA/OSS/Pulseaudio mess).

I don't see that happening for a good long while, though...

pcfast
July 30th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Seems like multimedia is the ultimate focus of the project, but so far I don't see any applications for serious multimedia work.

Might need to give the developers time to come out with something. Like I said there are a lot of people unhappy with current OS offerings.

Personally I have some multimedia projects, but don't want to spend too much $$ on investing in new hardware. If Haiku could fill my needs I would be happy! :)

Jakin
July 30th, 2012, 04:35 AM
I used BeOS back in the day, very fast system, especially when it comes to multimedia. Back then seemed like there was more hardware support- then again, it wasnt kept up with technology.
Haiku i have been following for years, it is slow to progress, but is getting there. It hardware support is little to none im afraid.. certainly runs a dream on netbooks though, some even having wireless function!
Right now VESA seems to be the best bet for any system, and being that many netbooks VESA is 1024x600, you acrually get a nice wide screen.

BeOS was always one of my favorite systems- And gave alpha 3 a shot from live CD and virtual box. Im talking 10-15 sec live cd boot, system ready-
Once installed, even on the slowest of HDDs, 5 sec boot- 1 maybe 2 second shutdown times.
Keep in mind that its not really running alot in alpha stage though.
Certainly something to watch, lightweight isn't the word for it; all the while simple yet intuitive desktop. Doesnt have a ton of software, but the most important things are there... flash needs to be implemented- i could not get gnash to work.
And in my opinion, really needs to bridge over to x86_64- before anyone could truely call it modern, which will take some....time....... (atleast allowing it to be boot on such hardware)

pcfast
August 12th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Maybe if they mailed free Install discs it could get as popular as Ubuntu! :)

rg4w
August 12th, 2012, 05:28 PM
BeOS came very close to being the foundation upon which Apple would build their next-generation systems, edged out at the last minute by acquiring Steve Jobs' NeXT instead.

With its OS-level support for objects like people, places, and things, it might have given rise to some very interesting applications.

But since any OS is ultimately just an app launcher, without a third-party ecosystem there's relatively little practical work that can be done with it.

I keep a copy of Haiku in a VM because I find it interesting, but cool as it is I wouldn't hold my breath for a viable future with it.

I'd love to be wrong on this. It's kinda nifty.

Jakin
August 12th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I would say the best way for software- entire OS IS to host it for download.

What will make it popular are its achievements, and easy usage for someone completely new to it.
It far from where most linux distros are, in terms of both usability and compatibility..

MadmanRB
August 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Well there is also zeven OS, another BeOS like OS but linux based.

Jakin
August 12th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah but BeOS is not linux. I GUESS it could be considered UNIX-like though.

MadmanRB
August 12th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Yeah but BeOS is not linux. I GUESS it could be considered UNIX-like though.

Indeed, though zeven does have its benefits over BeOS like linux binary compatibility

Jakin
August 12th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Indeed, though zeven does have its benefits over BeOS like linux binary compatibility

(i mean to say that appearance would be where the similarities end though)

I vaguely remember trying it about a year ago; Did Zeven OS create a theme or entire DE?
I would like to see a theme made by someone.... that looks like the Zeta/BeOS system, i thought it was beautifully modern- while still being faithful.

I bought a Zeta install disc when it became available, however it will not install in Virtual box.. wahhhh :'( (i suspect its because my computer is x86_64... which i mentioned in an earlier post, Haiku needs to port it for such hardware)

http://www.blogcdn.com/downloadsquad.switched.com/media/2005/07/beos.jpg (obviously yellowTABs when active window :)

Duncan J Murray
August 12th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Had a go with it for a short while from USB.

Felt like a step back in time for me - was like an advanced Amiga! It booted fast, and I think you can just shut down by powering off.

D

neu5eeCh
August 13th, 2012, 12:50 AM
It's a dead end. But probably makes a great hobby.

free10
December 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
The new Haiku Alpha 4 just came out and a thread on Haiku just got closed as this gets mentioned, so maybe not such a dead end. There might be one more Alpha come out in 2013 before the Beta is released also in 2013. Work is starting soon on a formal package management for Haiku and some work is being done to make it run on the ARM processors.

Linuxratty
December 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
Maybe if they mailed free Install discs it could get as popular as Ubuntu! :)

:D There's a though!
And if they had a wish list where you can write in your must haves...Would be nice.

moster
December 3rd, 2012, 09:57 PM
If I understand correctly, Haiku alpha 4 only needs something like libre office and they are ready to go. We all need basic minimum for daily work...

free10
December 3rd, 2012, 10:21 PM
If I understand correctly, Haiku alpha 4 only needs something like libre office and they are ready to go. We all need basic minimum for daily work...

If you are talking about moving to Beta it must have Package management for it, as I understand it. That was scheduled to already start I think but had to be moved to around a March 2013 start date because of conflicts in obligations the ones that are going to be writing it are having.

A far as new software of course there is QT still being developed

https://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/qthaikuru

Then there is open JDK

https://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/apps_i_use_haiku_openjdk

Its going to get interesting :guitar::lol:

moster
December 4th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Glad to hear from you :) As original thread about haiku got closed by mod, I was thinking I will loose you guys.

I wish that they sort out that problem with package management because I am reading about it for 1,5 years from now... Just to get thing to roll, Haiku will be out among big guys then..

If you are talking about moving to Beta it must have Package management for it, as I understand it. That was scheduled to already start I think but had to be moved to around a March 2013 start date because of conflicts in obligations the ones that are going to be writing it are having.

A far as new software of course there is QT still being developed

https://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/qthaikuru

Then there is open JDK

https://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/apps_i_use_haiku_openjdk

Its going to get interesting :guitar::lol:

free10
December 5th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Glad to hear from you :) As original thread about haiku got closed by mod, I was thinking I will loose you guys.

I wish that they sort out that problem with package management because I am reading about it for 1,5 years from now... Just to get thing to roll, Haiku will be out among big guys then..

Here is where you can go and check on some of the news coming out. Yes, it has been talked about forever :lol:, but they did have a few thousands bugs to smash and a few other things to work on too. Once package management comes out in 2013 then no more having to do new installs with the changes, with each new version.

https://www.haiku-os.org/blog

To paraphrase, you know a running man with a cheap usb stick can put Haiku on a thousand machines in a night.

kow777
December 5th, 2012, 07:39 AM
It's a dead end. But probably makes a great hobby.

Isn't that what all Linux distros are?

Jakin
December 5th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Isn't that what all Linux distros are?

In think what we have seen in the last year or so, proves that Linux is no "waste of time".

BeOS/Haiku as wonderful as it would be to have as a viable niche OS, has far far further a reach to be were linux is now. Mind you i don't believe Haiku to be a waste of time either.

robert shearer
December 5th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Haiku i have been following for years, it is slow to progress, but is getting there. It hardware support is little to none im afraid.. certainly runs a dream on netbooks though, some even having wireless function!

+1. When I can get it to work it is very rewarding but still rather buggy.

Once there is a stable release I would certainly use it alongside Win and Lubuntu as its performance on older hardware is impressive.

Mikeb85
December 5th, 2012, 03:59 PM
The screenshots remind me of Windows 3.1...