PDA

View Full Version : Writing multimedia progs requires what courses?

malform11
July 29th, 2012, 02:30 AM
In am overwhelmed by the development tools. I have done visual basic6. The QT gui maker looks like VB6 but requires C+.

I want to be able to install hardware.

I want to write midi sound programs with object oriented programming like VB6.

I have asked questions twenty times at six forums in two months with not one response.

What computer courses should I take? I am willing to spend my time and money going to school to learn how to control my Ubuntu.

Please respond........................

levlaz
July 30th, 2012, 03:55 AM
In am overwhelmed by the development tools. I have done visual basic6. The QT gui maker looks like VB6 but requires C+.

I want to be able to install hardware.

I want to write midi sound programs with object oriented programming like VB6.

I have asked questions twenty times at six forums in two months with not one response.

What computer courses should I take? I am willing to spend my time and money going to school to learn how to control my Ubuntu.

There are a few object oriented programming languages that you can use in order to accomplish this task including Java, C#, Python, and others. My favorite is Python, they have an entire community built around sound and music applications. Check out the site (http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonInMusic)it may give you some ideas, inspiration, or maybe you could add on to one of the programs and make it better.

There is no real answer to this question, there is no best language, and there is no VB6 :)

Everyone has their own preferences. The best way to learn a language is not to take classes, but to dig in and start coding. I think Python is a great bet because it has tons of documentation, an avid support group, and a bunch of great features.

Best of Luck,

Lev

malform11
August 9th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Thank You. i am not wealthy, therefore I am powerless to learn the technology that rules out lives today. So much technolgy freedom power available. it is sad that only elite people have access to this.

Bucky Ball
August 9th, 2012, 04:05 AM

i am not wealthy,

Are you after support or is this an extension of the thread you posted earlier? Absolute Beginners Talk is a support forum.

If you are looking for courses you would be best to see what is on offer in your area by making a few phone calls and searching the net. No doubt there are many online courses available. Do you know anyone that does these things already who might be willing to mentor you? Or ... buy or loan from a library the books you need to learn what you need to achieve your purpose and start asking questions on the half a dozen forums you mentioned when you get stuck. (There is a Programming sub-forum here where you might have better luck with your research.) ;)

cariboo
August 9th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Again this really isn't an Ubuntu support question, moved to the Cafe.

anewguy
August 9th, 2012, 05:38 AM
check for computer clubs in your area or even a ubuntu users group. most of these can provide the type of help you are looking for.

Mikeb85
August 9th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Nowadays there's enough free documentation for languages that finances are no excuse for not learning a language.

You can install just about any language on Linux, for free... You can install any number of development tools for free, and the default text editors (gEdit, Kwrite) support just about all those languages.

I have very little programming experience (messing around with VB when I was 10 :O ), and I'm currently learning Ruby and programming my first game in my spare time, without spending any money...

Taking courses is good, but all the information is out there if you're willing to look and learn by trial/error...

Mikeb85
August 9th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Linux gives you a full complement of development tools... For FREE. Anything you need to program and then host a website, create anything from a simple 2D game to a complex 3D AAA-style title, create your multimedia programs, etc...

There is no more democratic, grassroots operating system than Linux. And learning it all isn't particularly difficult, all there information is out there, for FREE. All the tools are out there, for FREE.

You don't need to have money to learn Linux and programming, all you need is a basic computer and an internet connection, and you're set. It really doesn't get any easier (or cheaper).

anewguy
August 12th, 2012, 04:59 AM
And this is why I recommended a local computer club or ubuntu user group. They can help you - for free - and provide some guidance to get you started. Yes, all the tools are out there and are free - I thought that would be self-evident. Pick up some pointers from one of the groups and you'll be glad you did, and you'll meet people with similar interests - perhaps a new friend.

Elfy
August 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Closed.