PDA

View Full Version : Forum for newbies?

Dragonfly_X
March 16th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I think they sould have a forum for newbies where they can post questions, experiences and all the usual things that newbies post. This should reduse the amount of scatered posts newbies make all over the site, usauly over the same stuff, and at the same time prove as a valuable source of info for newbies who are learning how to use linux =D>

Xian
March 16th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I hear they are doing a forum enhancement in April so maybe something like this will be incorporated in some form. I'll be glad for some type of section re-formatting as all the sub-sects are a bit confusing and somewhat difficult to navigate.

mike998
March 16th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I agree that the Forums can sometimes be a little difficult to deal with as can the main Ubuntu Website.
One thing that seems to be very hard to find is a useful FAQ. I have an offline copy of ubuntuguide.org just in case, but the information there should really be made available in a FAQ format on the main site or alternately here on the forums website. (Yeah, I know about the non-free stuff, but AFAIK this site is not officially affiliated with Ubuntu.)
The Ubuntu channel on IRC tends to have the same questions come up again and again, and although it's something I don't mind doing - helping people (I'm a technical instructor) it can get tiresome when you have explained the the twentieth person that in order to get .mp3 support they need to add the nerim repositories.

I second this thought - we definately need a FAQ or a helpguide for newbies and make it easy to find.

ubuntu-geek
March 16th, 2005, 04:29 PM
I second this thought - we definately need a FAQ or a helpguide for newbies and make it easy to find.

Its in the works guys :)

DR_K13
March 16th, 2005, 05:57 PM
The FAQ section works for me