PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] l have a problem with grub

mostafa gado
July 28th, 2012, 02:15 AM
it's my 1st time to use linux so plz keep that in mind ,now i downloaded the new ubunto 12.04 x64 and then created a bootable usb flash disk ,then installed it after removing windows 7 .the problem is while installing it it said somthing like boot file is missing ,i went online through my phone and people said contine then fix the problem later and i did.

now after the system rebooted it gave me a black window with all that grub crap ,i went online again and spent houers and all the fixes was to run the ubuntu from the cd (which i don't have) or from the flash disk (which i have) to fix it from the terminal ,but it doesn't work ,i can't open the intalled ubunto or the demo ubunto on the flash.

i'm using HP Pavilion dv6 with intel Centreno 2 processor

so now what ?????

oldfred
July 28th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Does USB flash drive now not work at all? You do have to select in BIOS or use one time boot key to choose it. Most systems seem to call flash drives as hard disks not USB devices.
Best to have a repair USB or CD. Otherwise very difficult.

When you say you get grub, what do you get? Grub menu?, grub> or grub rescue> ?

What video card do you have and did you choose to install restricted drivers? Often issues are related to video driver.