PDA

View Full Version : Open-source development - where should I start?

KingRazor
July 27th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Been very interested in getting involved in open-source development for some time now. My programming experience has been very introductory. I've made a "hello, world!" program in 4 or 5 different languages and made an html website back in high school (dunno if that counts for anything).

Any recommendations on where to go or what to do to get the ball rolling?

Thanks,
Razor

cariboo
July 28th, 2012, 02:57 AM
You could join the BugSquad (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad) and help triage bugs, just to get your feet wet.

donkyhotay
July 28th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Find something that interests you. Is there a program you use or a game you play that has something you don't like? If so then find and fix the bug or include the missing feature. If you can't think of anything look at the ubuntu bug reports and see if you can find something that you think you can do. There are lots of projects that need all levels of support out there.

evilsoup
July 28th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hmm, if I wanted to alter unity lenses (to make the music lens send stuff to vlc, or include the yavol youtube scope in the main videos lens), what would I need to know?

donkyhotay
July 28th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hmm, if I wanted to alter unity lenses (to make the music lens send stuff to vlc, or include the yavol youtube scope in the main videos lens), what would I need to know?

No clue, why don't you just download the source code and take a look? If it's within your skills then go for it, if it isn't then either start learning or find something else.

evilsoup
July 28th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Haha, fair enough.