PDA

View Full Version : Can we save Gnome 2?

feeno49
July 27th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I see a lot of complaints about Unity and I agree with most of them. I also find Gnome 3 to be little different. The goal appears to be an interface that is simple and clean (think Apple) and will work on mobile devices. Those are laudable goals. But there are those of us who use our Linux desktop machines for actual work. We are technically capable and we want an interface that is efficient for us, with 10 workspaces, 20 applications running all the time and 25 icons in our panels. Unity and Gnome 3 don't function that way, so why not keep Gnome 2 around. I'm not asking for innovation, just leave it alone, but continue to support it into the forseeable future.

brainwash
July 27th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Some guys forked Gnome 2 and called the project MATE:

Gnome 2 was the most popular Linux desktop but it’s no longer available… MATE is here to provide that same desktop to you http://mate-desktop.org/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif
http://mate-desktop.org/

HoCo xXSamXx
July 27th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Very interesting. Do they have a support forum where we could see reviews and whatnots?

Version Dependency
July 27th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Complaining here does nothing. Ubuntu didn't kill Gnome 2. You want to complain to the people behind the death of Gnome 2...do it here (http://www.gnome.org/). Although I seriously doubt anyone there will listen to your complaints.

A possible solution? Try this (http://xubuntu.org/).

kurt18947
July 27th, 2012, 09:35 PM
You could download Mint 13/Maya with the MATE desktop. Take it for a spin and write a review :). I've used it for very basic stuff and it works. No idea how or if it works with compiz and the blessed cube etc. etc.

Bobhuber
July 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I've been using Mint 13 (Mate) for about a month. Love it ! All the compiz bells and whistles if you want them and totally customizable. If you want the gnome 3 version download Mint 13 (Cinnamon) although not quite as customizable has a bit more eye candy. There is almost no learning curve involved as everything is based on Ubuntu and in fact uses many of the same repositories. The Mate core is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and very stable in addition to being extremely fast.

coffeecat
July 27th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Jakin
July 28th, 2012, 02:38 AM
MATE seemed to not let me do the things i did on gnome 2.32, but over time messing with it again, i may just figure out workarounds for what i want...
By now i moved to Kubuntu, obviously with KDE4- and set it up the best i could, like i used to have Gnomes panels, and its look and feel.
So; I'd like to know if anyone can tell me if installing a MATE session to Kubuntu 12.04amd might adversely effect KDE... because in my own experience having Unity lurking within the system, did not play well with KDE4.

BrokenKingpin
July 30th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Just use Xfce... you will feel right at home coming from Gnome 2.

mamamia88
July 30th, 2012, 05:47 PM
contribute to xfce instead. it's basically a slighly less user friendly gnome2 but faster. a few more releases from now it should be as good or better than gnome 2 and still faster

ojdon
July 30th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Use XFCE, not MATE. XFCE is currently up to date software with lots of developer support.

MATE is just flogging a dead horse...

Vakman
July 30th, 2012, 06:05 PM
As others have said, MATE or Cinnamon are both options. Linux Mint has download options for both.

jwbrase
July 30th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Use XFCE, not MATE. XFCE is currently up to date software with lots of developer support.

The problem is that XFCE lacks significant features of Gnome 2. It is, perhaps, the best DE available after the Gnome 3 debacle, but it's still a fair bit clunkier than Gnome 2. So for people who want those features, it's pretty much MATE or nothing.

Gnome 3 itself may still briefly be in the running, depending on how much fallback mode has improved since I last tried it, but this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2035315) makes it look like it won't be in the running for long.

BrokenKingpin
July 30th, 2012, 09:45 PM
The problem is that XFCE lacks significant features of Gnome 2. It is, perhaps, the best DE available after the Gnome 3 debacle, but it's still a fair bit clunkier than Gnome 2. So for people who want those features, it's pretty much MATE or nothing.

What features is Xfce missing that Gnome 2 had? Most of the Gnome applications work just fine under Xfce, so I fail to see what you could be missing. I also find that Xfce and its window manager (Xfwm) is far more configurable than Gnome 2 ever was, and even has a built in compositor.

vasa1
July 31st, 2012, 03:40 AM
Where's the OP gone to? Should someone be worried?

craig10x
August 1st, 2012, 04:00 AM
Solus Os2 (about to go into beta stages) Ikey (the lead developer) is taking gnome 3 and putting back all the gnome 2 functionality into it :D

TheMTtakeover
August 3rd, 2012, 02:18 AM
I see a lot of complaints about Unity and I agree with most of them. I also find Gnome 3 to be little different.
I see a lot of people praising Unity and I agree with most of them. I also find Gnome 3 to be a little different that's probably why they changed the 2 to the 3 to mark a significant difference. :P

I'm just messing with you, use MATE or move on.

Ashtonford
August 3rd, 2012, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE=ojdon;12139997]Use XFCE, not MATE. XFCE is currently up to date software with lots of developer support.

MATE is just flogging a dead horse...[/Q

mint 13 with cinnamin is what Iam using now its a great distro nice simple to use desktop. Mate is also a good choice and its not flogging a dead horse that total rubbish! mate will be around quite awhile, mint has said as much. Both of those are as close at the old gnome as you are going to get. If you have any questions the mint forum is a great place to ask questions.

chamber
August 3rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Where's the OP gone to? Should someone be worried?

http://forthesakeofscience.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/no-meme.jpg?w=386

3rdalbum
August 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Can we save Gnome 2?

No... the Gnome developers have been trying for years to save Gnome 2, but in the end it was too inflexible to be retrofitted with the newest features to make life easier. So they binned it and moved to Gnome 3.

vexorian
August 4th, 2012, 02:48 PM

It got dev support and last version was released four days ago. So I don't think MATE a dead horse.

All DEs we got now started with a small number of developers. Including XCFE and Gnome. Mate has the advantage that its environment is an already tested idea that works, so I doubt it will have issues getting new developers.

What I wish about MATE is that they fix their ppa. For some reason it needs strange tricks to install.

No... the Gnome developers have been trying for years to save Gnome 2, but in the end it was too inflexible to be retrofitted with the newest features to make life easier. So they binned it and moved to Gnome 3. How exactly does gnome3 make life easier? I guess that after you install 22 extensions it starts to be a little usable, but that's not the same thing.