PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remote session

Priyank Kaushal
July 27th, 2012, 07:57 AM
hi, I want to know how to start remote session on ubuntu ..what rae the commands..I have recently installed xllvnc software on my 11.10 ubuntu desktop...

markbl
July 27th, 2012, 08:38 AM
hi, I want to know how to start remote session on ubuntu ..what rae the commands..I have recently installed xllvnc software on my 11.10 ubuntu desktop...
Type man x11nvc and read away. The man page is full of examples and options. Tells you everything you need to know, how to use it with ssh etc.

Priyank Kaushal
July 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
But how to get look of files in remote computer..what are commands..it is not asking for remote computer ip or username..how to connect??

steeldriver
July 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
If both machines are on your own LAN and you are behind a NAT then you can just start the x11vnc server and point your VNC client at it. Otherwise I would recommend using SSH tunneling (both for security and for ease of routing through firewalls).

To set up a basic non-tunneled connection, you can use something like:

x11vnc -rfbauth /home/user/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5900 -shared -forever -nowf -norc -notruecolor -bg -xkb(I copied this from the default mythtv setup) where the /home/user/.vnc/passwd is created by running

vncpasswdYou can then point your VNC client at your-remote-server:5900 where your-remote-server is the hostname (if you have working DNS resolution) or IP of the remote machine.

If you want to use SSH tunneling then you would add '-localhost' to the x11vnc command, and then set up an SSH tunnel - something like

ssh user@your-remote-server.com -L 5900:your-remote-server:5900and then point the VNC client at localhost:5900 instead.

Priyank Kaushal
July 27th, 2012, 12:46 PM
from windows the ubuntu can be connected but how to connect windows from ubuntu....I want to know the commands sir..

steeldriver
July 27th, 2012, 01:25 PM
For that case, you can install a remote desktop client on Ubuntu that supports the Windows native RDP protocol (such as vinagre) and then simply enable remote desktop connections on the Windows box. Or you can install a 3rd party VNC server on Windows and use any VNC client on Ubuntu.

longfeltwant
August 1st, 2012, 02:02 AM
Is there a way to get a complete desktop X session over a remote connection? I have Ubuntu running on a Linux box and I would like to be able to connect to it from my Mac. Here is what I've done:

> open X11 on my Mac
> ssh -Y servername
> log in, then on remote Ubuntu machine:
> xeyes &
> nautilus &
> unity &

Xeyes and Nautilus both work as I would expect, but Unity does not. What I don't know is, is that supposed to work? Is that how I would do it? I also tried some variants. If I start unity-2d-shell, then the desktop background from Ubuntu will draw underneath my Mac windows, but nothing else will start. I could also call unity-2d-panel and the menu bar appears right underneath my Mac menu bar. So I feel like I must be close. When I call unity I get this:

username@servername:~$ unity &
[2] 3856
username@servername:~$ unity-panel-service: no process found
Checking if settings need to be migrated ...no
Checking if internal files need to be migrated ...no
Backend : gconf
Integration : true
Profile : unity
Adding plugins
Initializing core options...done
compiz (core) - Fatal: No composite extension
compiz (composite) - Error: initScreen failed
compiz (core) - Error: Couldn't activate plugin 'composite'
compiz (core) - Error: Plugin 'composite' not loaded.

compiz (core) - Error: InitPlugin 'opengl' failed
compiz (core) - Error: Couldn't activate plugin 'opengl'
compiz (core) - Error: Plugin 'composite' not loaded.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

The first thing it says is that unity-panel-service is not found. I haven't dug into that error message yet, but I will now, and I'll report back if I figure things out.