PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] looking forward

Vegan
July 26th, 2012, 11:58 PM
right now world+dog in the linux planet use the usual LAMP package for their web appliance, no problem.

what is not so clear is what is going to happen with MySQL, this kind of is anti oracle so what are they going to do that open source will not like?

I know I can use another database so its not the end of the world but what is the prospects for the old LAMP setup
:guitar:

Cheesemill
July 27th, 2012, 01:36 AM
MySQL is open source so if Oracle decide to start messing with it too much then someone will just fork it.

Just like when they restricted development of OpenOffice it was forked as LibreOffice and everything carried on the same as before.

Oracle have always stated that they intend to continue development and support of MySQL though.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-management/the-future-mysql-according-oracle-402

SeijiSensei
July 27th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I've used PostgreSQL since the mid-1990's and only use MySQL when forced to do so because of an application I'm installing. I frankly have never understood the appeal of MySQL, especially when it is obvious the product will always be a stepchild at Oracle.

Vegan
August 11th, 2012, 02:28 PM
forks are one solution, but what concerns me is issue of breaking a software

development is expensive, especially when world+dog have to change databases etc

:guitar: