PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome 3 Ubuntu Distro?

dagroves
July 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I am looking for an Ubuntu based distro that runs Gnome 3 exclusively (Other than Linux Mint). I am not talking about installing Ubuntu and then installing Gnome 3, or doing a CLI install and installing Gnome 3, I have tried that and I somehow screw it up, I am looking for a pre-built distro that has Gnome 3, no other desktop environment on it at all. Is there one?

2F4U
July 26th, 2012, 04:57 PM
The distribution search feature of Distrowatch spits out Hybryde Linux and Linux Caixa Mágica, among others.

Whovian
July 26th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Distros that use Gnome 3 exclusively are pinguy OS, Pear Linux, Snow Linux (these are ubuntu based)

If you are looking for non ubuntu based gnome # distro try Fedora 17

markbl
July 26th, 2012, 11:41 PM
I have tried that and I somehow screw it up, ..
How can you screw it up? Ubuntu is the most popular linux distribution so that offers a lot of advantages (the copious help on this forum being one of them). Gnome-shell on ubuntu works great and the default Ambiance theme looks fantastic.

To install and use gnome shell just type the following on a ubuntu 12.04 system:

add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
apt-get update
apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-tweak-tool

Then log out of your Unity, select GNOME session from the dropdown, and log in. Spend the next 5 mins reading the Gnome Shell Cheatsheet (https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet).

dagroves
July 27th, 2012, 01:12 AM
How can you screw it up? Ubuntu is the most popular linux distribution so that offers a lot of advantages (the copious help on this forum being one of them). Gnome-shell on ubuntu works great and the default Ambiance theme looks fantastic.

To install and use gnome shell just type the following on a ubuntu 12.04 system:

add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
apt-get update
apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-tweak-tool
Then log out of your Unity, select GNOME session from the dropdown, and log in. Spend the next 5 mins reading the Gnome Shell Cheatsheet (https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet).

I understand and have done that, but I do not want Unity still on there, I am running on a 6GB HDD and any minute bit of space saving helps. I found one though, I am going to give it a go. I am going to try out this one: luninuxos.com

vexorian
July 27th, 2012, 01:29 AM
I understand and have done that, but I do not want Unity still on there, I am running on a 6GB HDD and any minute bit of space saving helps. I found one though, I am going to give it a go. I am going to try out this one: luninuxos.com
You can uninstall unity once you add the gnome shell.

But with 6GB of hard drive, you are better off trying distros that use fewer resources anyway. They will save up a lot of space in areas other than the DE.

Chdslv
July 27th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I am looking for an Ubuntu based distro that runs Gnome 3 exclusively (Other than Linux Mint). I am not talking about installing Ubuntu and then installing Gnome 3, or doing a CLI install and installing Gnome 3, I have tried that and I somehow screw it up, I am looking for a pre-built distro that has Gnome 3, no other desktop environment on it at all. Is there one?

Install Cairo Dock to your Ubuntu 12.04, even if you don't like it, Gnome would be installed automatically. Underneath Unity, you have Gnome, so you are having a Gnome distro. (If you don't like Cairo dock, you can delete it later, but you'd still have Gnome 3.)

Then logout and choose Gnome. That's it!:)

Whovian
July 31st, 2012, 05:40 PM
yeah if you have a 6GB HDD you should go with tinycore or puppylinux they are meant to run on old machines an won't hurt your resources.