PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.4 install problem

tinlegs
July 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM
AMD Sempron 2300+
Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 4000
! gb ram
Hi a few months ago I demonstrated Ubuntu 11.10 on my friends computer (specs above) and the live usb stick worked with no problems. I have just tried to do the same with 12.4 ( he now want to install ubuntu ). Everthing seamed ok, but just before it fully loaded the computer would lockup nothing was happening the usb light was not flashing the mouse was frozen. I tried it twice with the same result at the same point in loading.
Any help of info would be gratefully received

Bufeu
July 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Have you tried to re-download Ubuntu and put it on an other USB? Exactly when does the installation freeze?

tinlegs
July 26th, 2012, 11:49 AM
No have not tried a difrent usb. it froze right at the very end after the splash screen the last screen and the mouse is working but just before unity appears it then froze

2F4U
July 26th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Since it is an nVidia card, you could try to boot with the nomodeset kernel parameter:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1997046

tinlegs
July 31st, 2012, 07:38 PM
sorry it taken so long to reply. I've tried a new down load and flash drive but it still froze. update on when it froze, it happen when Ubuntu WI-Fi was looking for a connection The mouse was free but clicking on anything would not work, no menus,no Unity would appear. I then tried xubuntu but with the same result, at the same point, because it happened just as xubuntu was looking for a internet connection i decided to disconnect the Internet and try again. This time it worked i could click on menus on open files etc. But when i tried Ubuntu with Internet disconnected it still froze. !!