PDA

View Full Version : The race is on

irv
July 25th, 2012, 05:20 PM
The race is on to see which OS will appeal to the cell phone and tablet (including the ipad) users. Apple is coming along with OS 10.8, and Windows with Win 8 RT. And then we have Android on many hand-held devices now trying to come up with there own OS for computer.

If you think about it, to be able to run the same OS on all your devices and on you laptop/desktop computers would make them totally compatible with one another and make it easy to learn one fits all. Cutting down on the learning curve.

Where does Ubuntu Linux fit into this race? Back in 2008 I read this, “Ubuntu's latest release, Gutsy Gibbon, now includes support for the embedded and mobile spaces with the Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded (UME) project.” Then on January 25, my wife's birthday I read this: “Pandora Handheld to go into Mass Production Next Month.”

The first release of the Pandora was back in 2008, which was a gaming handheld and mini-laptop. Now that 4 years plus has passed this article said, “...it looks like the bad time is finally over. They tested a prototype recently and it was a 100% success. Pandora will go into mass production next month in Germany.” Since that time, I haven't seen any more about it.

There was all this talk about Ubuntu Mobile back in 2008 also, but where is it now? Then in 2011 the news said “Ubuntu on its way to mobile devices”, and again I ask, what devices and where? It was also said that Canonical did mention that it will be bringing Ubuntu to smartphones, tablets as well as smart TVs. There had plans to take the 12.04 release with Unity, the long term support version and focus on mobile devices. Again I ask where and when?

If this is a race I would say that Apple and MS are trying to run neck and neck while Ubuntu is trailing way behind, in fact I would ask, is Ubuntu even in the race?

What are your thoughts on this?

irv
July 25th, 2012, 05:46 PM
If you want to watch the video on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw0QkesOfc4&feature=player_embedded
I am not an Apple user, but I have to say it looks and acts much better then Windows. I can see why it is gaining in the race.

cprofitt
July 26th, 2012, 04:29 AM
watching that video made me think Apple like Ubuntu and its notifications.

I also noticed the story about Apple missing its projections was hi-lighted in the video... strange.

BrokenKingpin
July 26th, 2012, 01:41 PM
The Pandora Handheld looks awesome.... I want one, but they are pretty expensive.

irv
July 26th, 2012, 02:19 PM
The Pandora Handheld looks awesome.... I want one, but they are pretty expensive.

Go for it: http://www.openpandora.org/

Edit: Delivery of the first batch of the Pandora started May 2010, about 4000 units have been delivered.