PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Permission denied when trying to install truetype fonts

patriot56
July 25th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hello forum.
I am attempting to install fonts system wide in Ubuntu 11.10 and am getting a "Permission Denied" error.

What I've done so far....

Downloaded the desired TrueType Font collection into the Downloads directory.
Created a "newfonts" directory in /usr/share/fonts/truetype
Opened Terminal and entered the command
mkdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype/newfonts

Using Nautilus, I navigated to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/newfonts and tried to drag and drop the truetype fonts from the Downloads folder into the /usr/share/fonts/truetype/newfonts directory. And this is where I get the Permission Denied error.

I have 9 TrueType Font files that I am trying to move into this folder. I am using Nautilus because I don't know the Terminal command used to perform this task.
I would prefer to use the Terminal.
I understand that I have to use the command
fc-cache -f -vto make the system aware of the new fonts?

Am I correct in assuming that the appropriate command to move the font files into the "newfonts" directory is
mv [sourcedirectory/file] to [destinationdirectory/file]?????

I apologize if I have made this more complicated than it needs to be. It seems I have a way of doing that. :(

Any help is most appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

oldos2er
July 25th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Anytime you want to run file operations outside of your /home/user folder, you need root privileges. In the terminal you use "sudo" to do this, so your command should look something like
sudo mv /home/user/Downloads/fonts/* /usr/share/fonts/truetype/newfonts/

gksu nautilus will allow you to drag and drop to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/newfonts/ graphically.

Also you'll need to run the fc-cache command as root too
sudo fc-cache -fv

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

patriot56
July 25th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I am marking this thread [SOLVED] because I found the solution.
And now that I see how simple it is to install fonts in Ubuntu I feel really stupid for even posting this thread in the first place#-o.](*,) I should have researched it a little further first.:oops:

Here's what I found (for anyone else that is trying to install fonts the hard way).

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Fonts

This link explains everything that anyone trying to install fonts in Ubuntu needs to know.

patriot56
July 25th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Anytime you want to run file operations outside of your /home/user folder, you need root privileges. In the terminal you use "sudo" to do this, so your command should look something like
sudo mv /home/user/Downloads/fonts/* /usr/share/fonts/truetype/newfonts/
gksu nautilus will allow you to drag and drop to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/newfonts/ graphically.

Also you'll need to run the fc-cache command as root too
sudo fc-cache -fvhttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Thank you oldos2er
You must have posted this reply at the same time that I was marking this Thread as [SOLVED] :P
I was feeling a little stupid for even posting this until I read your post. Now I'm kind'a glad that I did post it.
You have offered some very valuable information regarding how to carry out tasks graphically as root. Things I didn't know and am excited to learn.
And thank you for the link to RootSudo.
I assume that the code
gksu nautiluswill allow root access to any of nautilus' functions???

Thanks again mate. I really appreciate it.

oldos2er
July 26th, 2012, 04:21 AM
I assume that the code
gksu nautilus will allow root access to any of nautilus' functions???

Yes, it will, so just tread carefully when using it. :)

patriot56
July 26th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Yes, it will, so just tread carefully when using it. :)

Good advice. When you consider that the term.....PEBKAC was created to describe, me. #-o

lol-

Thanks again oldos2er