PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] keep ubuntu10.04 on usb stick, or install ubuntu12.04?

ubto66
July 25th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I run ubuntu 10.04lts on a usb stick. It's not fast, but can be done if you let ubuntu do one thing at the time.

When ubuntu stops getting updated, then what happens? Is it still secure to use ubuntu10.04? By now I already have to install sun java manually. And when updates stop, I'll have to update flash manually too?

If I install ubuntu 12.04lts, which environment should I use from the ubuntu software center, to get as fast an usb stick os as possible?

Thanks.

kc1di
July 25th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I run ubuntu 10.04lts on a usb stick. It's not fast, but can be done if you let ubuntu do one thing at the time.

When ubuntu stops getting updated, then what happens? Is it still secure to use ubuntu10.04? By now I already have to install sun java manually. And when updates stop, I'll have to update flash manually too?

If I install ubuntu 12.04lts, which environment should I use from the ubuntu software center, to get as fast an usb stick os as possible?

Thanks.

I would think Lubuntu or xubuntu would be a good match for you

2F4U
July 25th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Keep in mind that Lubuntu does not have an LTS release and Xubuntu, as far as I know, is only supported for 3 years. Only Ubuntu and Kubuntu will be supported for 5 years.
However, with respect to speed, Lubuntu should be the fastest.

ubto66
July 28th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Thank you for answering.
I installed lxde in ubuntu software center. It's responsive and could be
faster than the default on ubuntu 10.04 lts.