PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Sharing from 12.04 (Unity) to Android Device

DiehlC
July 25th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Hello everyone,

I am curious as to how I should go about this, Ive been looking into it, and there seems to be a lot of argument as to which method to use, and what works and what doesn't.

I was thinking about using VNC as I already use VNC for my CentOS VPS servers, but I am having trouble trying to figure out how to get VNC to work with Unity. XFCE, Gnome, LXDE, etc is a snap, but Unity, thats a different story.

I actually managed to connect to my Desktop with VNC, when I setup the xstartup script for a Gnome-session, but all I got out of it was the Terminal (looking like the default on my desktop, with the correct color scheme), but the rest was basically just an XServer, all Grey with nothing else to it.

Some claimed Remote Desktop was better to use with Unity, but it was poorly slow. I also dont have any experience with RDP, but I would be willing to learn if need be.

Someone else here, was boasting something called "UX" as being "Far superiour to everything else", and vnc and RDP was "inferiour", etc. But I have no idea what the guy was talking about. a search of "Desktop Sharing UX" revealed absolutely nothing relevant besides information on Remote Desktop using HP's unix system "HP-UX". So it would of been nice for him to show some evidence, or explain what UX even is, or even at least gave a resource on the subject. But I got nothing. I am at a stop loss.

The wonders of Android pretty much set the bar, sky high. So I am pretty much free to use any method known to mankind. I am just not sure which method I should get to working on to get Unity to work well.
I don't want to put all my time into trying to get VNC to work, if unity wont even work over it. Same as the others.
Which leads me here to the Forums, in hopes of getting others opinions, on what would be best, and to see if any others have successfully made Unity work over a Desktop Sharing Protocol before.

So what do you guys think? What should I go with? and have any of you successfully remote shared Unity before, and if not any resources from someone who has?

I think Unity is kind of neat. And perfect for this. Its perfect, because according to Canonical, Unity was created to merge the realms of Mobile, Desktops, Tablets, etc.
I agree that Unity is Perfect for exactly that. Imagine trying to sort through XFCE, Gnome, et all. Menus with big clunky thumb presses. Pretty hard. Now imaging doing the same with the icons of a Unity Launcher. Which would be just perfect.

So I really hope I can get this to work, its going to be nice to be able to actually use my phone to control my desktop and it not be such a hassle for once.

Whats your thoughts folks?

Take Care everyone.
-Cody