PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to change icon in custom launcher

rewyllys
July 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with the Cinnamon desktop environment.

I've had to create a custom desktop launcher for CrashPlan. Unfortunately, this launcher--for some reason--has an incorrect icon, which I would like to change.

Unfortunately again, I've not been able to figure out how to change the icon. So I would appreciate help.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

rewyllys
July 24th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Well, I finally discovered that I'd used an incorrect method of establishing a custom launcher.

What I should have done, and what works, is the following:

Right-click on Menu (in the left-hand corner of your panel) and select "Edit menu". In the resulting "Main Menu" window, pick your preferred category of Applications (in my case, "System Tools"). This opens a sub-window, in which you click on "New Item". Then fill in its slots as appropriate.

Next, identify the location of the icon you want to use. Then double-click on the icon image in the New Item window. This will open still another window, and in this window you can go to the location of the desired icon; then highlight it; and choose "Open".

Finally, close the Main Menu window. The new item will appear when you choose Menu from your panel. If you want a copy of the launcher to appear on your Desktop, just right-click on the launcher icon and select "Add to desktop."