PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Qt and Kernel update today

Tim Prosser
July 24th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Have just applied the Qt and Kernel update released today and KDE now hangs after the graphical login with only a cursor visible.

Is this update broken, or is it something more subtle?

Can't see anything obvious although there are errors about being unable to open pixmaps in .xsession-errors.

mparillo
July 24th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Have just applied the Qt and Kernel update released today and KDE now hangs after the graphical login with only a cursor visible.

Is this update broken, or is it something more subtle?

Can't see anything obvious although there are errors about being unable to open pixmaps in .xsession-errors.

My vote: Something more subtle.
After all, it worked for me, and I am no wizard.

Tim Prosser
July 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM
My vote: Something more subtle.
After all, it worked for me, and I am no wizard.

Thanks - that's very useful to know - I'll have to start digging, then!

Installed xfce (xubuntu-desktop) and that works fine, so it is definitely some problem with kde. I'll probably find that the user prefers xfce...I certainly do.

mparillo
July 24th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks - that's very useful to know - I'll have to start digging, then!

Installed xfce (xubuntu-desktop) and that works fine, so it is definitely some problem with kde. I'll probably find that the user prefers xfce...I certainly do.
I might have misunderstood. I am running 'regular' Kubuntu, When I read you installed xubuntu-desktop, I started to wonder if you also had installed kubuntu-desktop. If so, then the 'It works for me' is a little less applicable.

dozch
July 24th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hi,

I also had problems after this upgrade; after login kde didn't hang but I got a dialog with the error message:

X session: unable to launch "/usr/bin/startkde" X session - "/usr/bin/startkde" not found, falling back to default session.

I couldn't find "startkde" either. (Re-?)installing kubuntu-desktop using aptitude fixed it for me:

$ sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop
The following NEW packages will be installed:
kde-workspace-bin kubuntu-desktop
The following packages will be REMOVED:
freespacenotifier{u} kdeartwork-style{u} kdeartwork-theme-window{u} kdeplasma-addons{u} kdewallpapers{u} kinfocenter{u} kmenuedit{u} librhythmbox-core5{u}
plasma-containments-addons{u} plasma-desktopthemes-artwork{u} plasma-runners-addons{u} plasma-wallpapers-addons{u} sweeper{u} xscreensaver-data{u}
xscreensaver-gl{u}
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 15 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
[...]

Hope this helps.

Tim Prosser
July 24th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hi,

$ sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for that - it did. This update must have added a new package that wasn't picked up by the normal dependencies. Should have tried that one before resorting to xubuntu-desktop. That'll teach me to avoid applying updates late at night..

All working normally now.

PS It was a standard kubuntu install - though there must be a package I installed somewhere that conflicts with kubuntu-desktop resulting in its removal. I suspect this might affect quite a few users.

dozch
July 25th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I am also a bit surprised this seems to have affected only a few; my install is pretty standard...

BTW I installed kubuntu over an ubuntu install, which may explain why I got an error message (though it didn't look like a gtk-dialog)