PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help with codecs on 8.04.4lts

Vic!
July 23rd, 2012, 11:55 PM
Hello! i'm having trouble getting my basic gstreamers installed from add/remove. i think my error message is telling me the repositories are no good. "The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct." if anyone could help me fix this i would greatly appreciate it. i just swapped a windows os out of an old dell laptop for my friend.:confused:

lukeiamyourfather
July 24th, 2012, 12:00 AM
The release you're using, Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, had support until April of 2011. By support they mean security updates and repositories. If you want to install packages you'll need to use the install disc as a source since the repositories are no longer online.

Ideally upgrade to a recent release of Ubuntu (like 12.04 LTS which is supported until April of 2017). That way you know you're getting security fixes. If the hardware is older also consider Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Vic!
July 24th, 2012, 12:07 AM
thanks luke! yes, im afraid the hardware im using is a bit old. (dell inspiron e1405 came with xp on it). would you suggest a current version of xubuntu then?

lukeiamyourfather
July 24th, 2012, 03:25 AM
thanks luke! yes, im afraid the hardware im using is a bit old. (dell inspiron e1405 came with xp on it). would you suggest a current version of xubuntu then?

Based on the specifications I found on Google it should be fine with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Though Lubuntu will take up about half the memory of Ubuntu on a fresh boot (335 MB compared to 165 MB give or take).

mastablasta
July 24th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Xubuntu uses XFCE that is more mature than LXDE used in Lubuntu. However you can give both a try and see which one you like.

otherwise old repositories are still available. but as suggested it's better to upgrade to get a safer and up to date OS.

Vic!
August 7th, 2012, 08:57 PM
installed Xubuntu 12.04 and it runs nicely. thank you guys!