PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 without HUD?

Wye Knott
July 23rd, 2012, 11:29 PM
If I "upgrade" to 12.04, is it possible to permanently disable any HUD or HUD-like appearance?

I don't like such things as they make it harder on my eyes and I don't need that. :mad:

Thanks...

Version Dependency
July 24th, 2012, 12:56 AM
No need to disable anything. It only appears when you hit the ALT key by itself. In fact, I would bet that most people running 12.04 have never activated the HUD, or even know it's there. But if you are worried that you might hit the ALT key by accident and bring up the HUD, you can go to System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Key to show HUD and set some weird key combination that you know you will never accidentally hit.

vasa1
July 24th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA9EHaNc2VI
It gives you a nice idea of what 12.04 running Unity looks like.

Wye Knott
July 25th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA9EHaNc2VI
It gives you a nice idea of what 12.04 running Unity looks like.

Well, I looked and couldn't discern a great deal and the voice was hard to understand. The video was small and going to full screen mode only made it blur a bit more.

I don't know the difference between "Unity" and "Pangolin".

What I absolutely loathe is the various "translucent" effects that merely (for me) obfuscate and make seeing more difficult.

I've been operating under the assumption that KILLING HUD will remove all these "translucent" effects. If that's not so, then I don't want 12.04.

Thanks...

alan21276
July 25th, 2012, 08:48 PM
You could try installing a different version of 12.04

i.e. Kubuntu, Lubuntu, even Mint

which offer a more traditional desktop without the fancy transparency effects.

there are various guides on here explaining the various ways of installing these.

Alternatively you could install ccsm which gives an option to switch off some of the dash effects.

Jay MC
July 25th, 2012, 09:52 PM
If I "upgrade" to 12.04, is it possible to permanently disable any HUD or HUD-like appearance?

I don't like such things as they make it harder on my eyes and I don't need that. :mad:

Thanks...

I never see HUD because I don't press the ALT key.

However... it sounds like your issue is less with HUD, and more with the look and feel of the Unity desktop. If you don't like transparencies, you're not going to like what happens when you press the Dash Home button at the top of the launcher (I personally love how it looks).

To be fair, look and feel is an important part of user experience. It may just be that the new Unity desktop isn't for you. If not, you can always try Mint.