PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partial upgrade - Both 12.04 & 12.10?

Albury_Boy
July 23rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hi all,

I seem to have had a strange partial upgrade. When logging into my laptop, the login screen shows 12.10. The 'About this computer' shows 12.04 LTS.

When running sudo apt-get update I see that it is using 'quantal' repositories mostly, with a couple of 'precise' ones thrown in. A heap of them are now broken.

My linux kernel is 3.5.0-5-generic

I'd recently upgraded my distro from 11.10 to 12.04 (on purpose). After the usual problems with X server settings, everything seemed to have settled down.

A couple of reboots later, I ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade, went to get a coffee, and when I got back, I found this Frankenstein machine.

<<- HE GETS TO THE QUESTION HERE ->>

So... I was wondering if I could force the system into totally 'believing' that it is 12.04??

My repositories are all precise or lower. There are no quantal sources in the list.

Any suggestions?

sectio aurea
September 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
This is still a relevant question, as the Quantal beta was just released.

One method, which worked for me and my extremely crufty upgrade partition when I experienced the OP's problem, is to try forcing aptitude to fix the problem:

Boot to safe mode, then run:

sudo aptitude -f

In aptitude, type "u" to update, then "g" to install updates.

Reboot when it won't take any more updates.

Repeat steps 1-4 until you can get to your graphical login screen on a 3.5.0 kernel.