PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Proper drivers for Geforce 7950 GX2. Slow performance!

chrisdku
July 23rd, 2012, 04:06 AM
Hey there, I am having a couple of issues after installing Ubuntu, aside from those I LOVE IT. It is much easier for me to get a handle on than Slackware even though I enjoy both. Anyways, I am running an Asus M2n32 SLI Deluxe motherboard with 2 gb memory, an amd athlon 64 x2 6000+ and a Geforce 7950 GX2. I tried to play Trine 2 on here, and also tried Heaven benchmarking software on low settings to see how the drivers performed. It was horrible. Trine was simply unplayable. I have no issues playing videos though. I'm not sure what to do about it. I am using the default drivers and did try the updated post install ones in the additional hardware menu. I have used an update manager to do all the updates and I believe I am up to date. I however am Linux impaired and need some help here. The only other odd thing I am experiencing is static in my speakers, its faint but there and then they randomly at times stop until I reboot. Not sure what the deal is. I have searched google and the forums but have come up short on proper fixes. Thanks!

Update: I installed the drivers using a command that got them from the PPA? I'm not horribly sure what I did, they seem slightly better but still pretty bad and I've had some graphical glitches happen. Anyone know the best driver to use for this card currently and where and how I install it. Also not sure if people want to stick to my video issues but the random sound card crashing or whatever is going on is getting old x.x. Thanks!

P.S. I posted this in Hardware if an admin can see it please remove it.