PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember Packerd Bell?

robtygart
July 23rd, 2012, 01:17 AM
Does anyone remember the old Packerd Bell computer? It has some wierd enviroment that looked like a house, and you would click on objects like a fax miceen, desk or a child like bed room with games and paint. Or you could load to the standard desktop, I think it was around 1996 or 97.

tjeremiah
July 23rd, 2012, 01:25 AM
my aunt had one. One of the games I remember was a snowboarding game where you had to aviod this monster that would chase you down a hill. Haven't seen or heard of these computers in a long time.

Favux
July 23rd, 2012, 01:25 AM
Hi robtygart,

I think you are talking about Microsoft Bob. It came out in March 1995. It must have been installed on the Packard Bell.

robtygart
July 23rd, 2012, 01:32 AM
Hi robtygart,

I think you are talking about Microsoft Bob. It came out in March 1995. It must have been installed on the Packard Bell.

No not really, it did look like that..

This would be closer
http://image.retrojunk.com/6e2_d62c7f3afd.jpg

Link (http://www.retrojunk.com/content/article/9913/index/)

robtygart
July 23rd, 2012, 01:38 AM
The story behind it...

My dad bought one at Sears (If anyone dose not know sears, Think Sears & Robuck, they have been around for ever)

Anyway, he was buying it from a commission paid salesmen, so he was hot to make a sale.

Anyway, that computer crashed right out of the box, dad spent hours talking to the tech support doing who knows what.

Finely we took back the computer.

I haven't seen anything like it before.

KiwiNZ
July 23rd, 2012, 01:39 AM
PB are still around, owned by Acer

mr john
July 23rd, 2012, 07:11 AM
Or as one of my work buddies called it, "Packard Dell"

He also said he had "S&M Messenger"

Poor guy became my guinea pig for testing Ubuntu with non-technical people. It worked fine for him as long as he had the icons to click. Sadly it was the non-techy people with just a little more computing knowledge that were harder to work with.

Giant Speck
July 23rd, 2012, 07:16 AM
Oh, my. Packard Bell. A family friend gave my mother an old Packard Bell back in the mid-90s because they thought it would be easier for her than the typewriters she was using.

That thing was difficult as heck to use and my mother ended up getting rid of it. We didn't get another computer until about 2000.

viperdvman
July 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Ahhhh.... a Packard Bell... my first proper computer... back in late-'93 to early-'94. It had come out before Windows 95 ever did, and around when the very first Pentiums were brand-spanking new. So of course, it ran an old Intel 80486DX2-66 with around 500MB of hard drive space... yes... MegaBytes. I don't quite remember how much RAM it ran, nor how much video RAM it had.

And yes, I remember Navigator... but stopped using it after I had gotten used to running Windows 3.11. As far as I remember, it was purely a Packard Bell app, made to interface with the various features on home computers at that time, including a space for the kids to use. And yes, I also ran MS Office that far back too.

But, I was also a big-time PC gamer back then, and had to install a second hard drive just to hold all the games I had on it (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Dark Forces, MS Flight Simulator, just to name a few).

That computer stayed around as the primary until the first Pentium II's came out, and the rest was history.

sffvba[e0rt
July 23rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
my aunt had one. One of the games I remember was a snowboarding game where you had to aviod this monster that would chase you down a hill. Haven't seen or heard of these computers in a long time.

Sounds like SkiFree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkiFree), an all time favorite time-sink for people on Windows 3.x :)

TBABill
July 23rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Oh yes. And at that time I had a Tandy (Radio Shack) 486sx-33. Painfully slow but we still rocked Doom modem to modem in deathmatch play!!! Within a year of me buying the weakest processing computer I could find (and that wasn't my mission!) they came out with the original Pentiums, which really made mine look like it was sitting at a stop sign while traffic blew by me.

philinux
July 23rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
That Navigator software took up a lot of disk space. I uninstalled all of it lol.

forrestcupp
July 23rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
My first jump from the C64 to an x86 computer was a Packard Bell. I bought it in 1995 right before Win95 came out. It had Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, but I got a free upgrade to Win95 when it came out. It was a Pentium 75Mhz, 16MB of RAM, something like 545MB hard drive, and of course a 2D only SVGA video chip. I absolutely loved that computer.

No not really, it did look like that..

This would be closer
http://image.retrojunk.com/6e2_d62c7f3afd.jpg

Link (http://www.retrojunk.com/content/article/9913/index/)

Yeah, it wasn't Microsoft Bob. The Navigator software you linked to was Packard Bell's own software. Most people didn't like it, but I loved it. I was used to C64 graphics, and Navigator really showed off the awesome new SVGA graphics.

JKyleOKC
July 23rd, 2012, 03:37 PM
My first Pentium system was a Packard Bell, bought at Office Depot in 1994. Before that I had been using a semi-homebrew 386 system (started as a 286, but I replaced the mobo with a 386 unit not long after the 386 became available). I immediately installed DOS 4.0 on it, using the IBM version that came out before Microsoft released theirs, and began disassembling the o/s to find out how it differed from 3.1 (answer: quite a bit, all for the worse)...

Ah, the memories!!! Thankfully I never encountered that interface, though.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 24th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I rember Packerd Bell.

If I remeber correctly I baught my first home computer that was a TRS-80 in 1978. I replaced the TRS-80 with a IBM PC XT in 1987. I replaced the IBM PC XT with a Packerd Bell in 1992. I replaced the Packerd Bell in 1997 with a Toshiba Satalite Laptop.

I remember upgrading the Packerd Bell to Windows 95. That was the only Packerd Bell computer I have ever had. I do remember the Navagator; however, I didn't use it. My memory is fading a little but I don't remember it looking like the pictures posted above. I am sure it didn't look like Microsoft Bob.

forrestcupp
July 24th, 2012, 02:41 AM
My memory is fading a little but I don't remember it looking like the pictures posted above. I am sure it didn't look like Microsoft Bob.

Yeah, that was the Packard Bell Navigator. There were several rooms in the house you could go to and do different things. I'll post another example below. They had a few different versions of Navigator, so maybe you had a newer or older version.

http://toastytech.com/guis/pbnav35info.png

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 24th, 2012, 03:02 AM
@forrestcupp,

You are probably right. I must have been using an older version. The version I had didn't have graphics that were that good. It didn't have shadows or reflections on the floor. :)

screaminj3sus
July 24th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I had a packardbell running windows 95. I remember it being a horrible cheap piece of garbage.

Grenage
July 24th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I remember PB units are being the Antichrist of PC cases; I hated working with them.

a2j
July 24th, 2012, 02:59 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iMsmNfnNPBg/TkfsziMXWoI/AAAAAAAAABA/8dshUDI15nA/w770-h513-k/IMG_9691.JPG

Now running Minix2

Frogs Hair
July 24th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I found this after reading the thread . http://www.pcworld.com/article/129857-11/the_10_worst_pcs_of_all_time.html

forrestcupp
July 24th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I remember PB units are being the Antichrist of PC cases; I hated working with them.

Yeah, for upgrading, they royally sucked.

MasterNetra
July 24th, 2012, 06:20 PM
My First desktop PC was a Packard Bell with win95.

Balthazar54
July 24th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I worked for a small company that bought several of them due to the low price. The components in them were all different. They must have bought what ever was cheapest that week.

For our main system we used a Wise, running SCO Xenix on the console and several terminals. The first was a 286!