PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for multi-chat instant messengers?

Luxx
July 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
This isn't really an Ubuntu question but since this community has been so awesome I would like feedback from other Ubuntu users.

Google has taken away my meebo :( and I'm looking for a replacement. My most missed features of meebo were:

1. the neat little meebo bar that appeared at the bottom right-hand corner of my browser out of the way of the main part of the webpage.

This is not to be confused with the meebo bar to add to a website, although I was also impressed with functionality of the website meebo bar.

The browser bar allowed me to keep chat open connected to several IM accounts and be able to see in a click who was available and send and receive messeges without having to log into the website or have to open a whole tab - and I could keep working while staying connected. I find having to switch to another tab to send and receive messages significantly slows down my work (my own business, not in someone else's office).

2. meebo me - I was able to have anyone contact me live from my website or from profiles in different social websites (special interest tech and lifestyle) and even an online auction.

Again this is where having the little bar in the browser was great as I could answer questions from perspective clients and keep up on important topics from the social networks without having to leave what I was doing.

I know I've been spoiled having these great tools for free, but now that meebo is gone I am scrambling to find an alternative that will allow the same functionality. I have also noticed other multi-IM services do not connect to as many different chat services as meebo did. Not even close.

I first started using meebo because I couldn't reconcile the expense of commercial operating systems when there were hundreds of Linux choices out there with amazing community support and I wanted to stay in touch with friends on Yahoo and AIM. I've been using Linux for 7 years and will never go back to commercial operating systems. I couldn't use Yahoo or AIM on Linux, but could connect to Yahoo and AIM on Linux through meebo. From there my use of meebo expanded with their features. I also use Firefox as my main browser and have used Chromium occasionally, but haven't yet been able to customize the things I use frequently on Chromium to my liking and convenience.

The most important features of a multi-IM service to me are:

1. fully functional (Firefox?) browser chat from any tab or window without having to switch pages to answer a question, A separate minimizable window would also work, though not as clean.

2. chat widget that I can add to profiles, websites and blogs,

3. interfaces with more than just a handful of other IMs.

Of course having the same functionality for my smart phone or tablet is also important to me, but that seems to on the top of development lists already. I guess I should make this Important Feature # 4 because it rules out Pidgin.

Irihapeti
July 23rd, 2012, 04:02 AM
Somewhere (can't remember where) I heard about https://imo.im/

It might do what you want.

(I've not used it, by the way.)

mr john
July 23rd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Trillian 2 with Wine or Pidgin