PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Another Windows 7, UEFI, Grub Debacle

drmrgd
July 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
Just set up my new system, which has UEFI enabled in the BIOS (and no obvious way to disable). I put two drives in there and would like to dual boot Windows 7 and Kubuntu as I did before. However, I can't get Grub2 to see Windows 7. I've spent the day reading forum posts, Launch Pad bug reports, and whatnot, and while I'm close, I can't quite get this to work. I can boot into each system from BIOS if I force it. Not very elegant and useful, though! I know I must be missing something really obvious, but I just can't see it. I know oldfred has been hacking away at this for some time now, hopefully he at least has a fix!

I'm attaching the results of the latest version of bootinfoscript for reference. However, the basic architecture is:

/sda1 = /boot
/sda2 = swap
/sda3 = /
/sda4 = /home

/sdb1 = EFI
/sdb2 = Windows Reserved
/sdb3 = Windows

After reading a ton of posts, seems like the most obvious is to point grub to the bootmgfw.efi on the EFI partition of that drive. So, I edited /etc/grub.d/40_custom like so:

menuentry "Windows 7" {
search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 1261-7FB0
chainloader (${root})/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

However, when I run grub-update, I don't specifically see that entry in the list, and when I reboot and try to select the entry, I get a partition not found error. I'm sure that I have the correct UUID for that partition, although I did try using both (hd1,1) and (hd1,gpt1) without any success.

I did try going the other way as well (i.e. use the Windows 7 bootloader to add linux) with EasyBCD, but that doesn't seem to work either, and it looks like there is no real solution that I can see on the support forums (they basically say that even the most recent beta version is not supporting UEFI/GPT at this time).

I would forever be indebted to anyone who can point out what I'm doing wrong and help me get a reasonable boot management solution. If there's any info I left out that would be helpful, just ask!

darkod
July 22nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
I don't use UEFI, but I was under the impression you are not using grub2 any more. You use the built-in UEFI bootloader.

Did you install ubuntu in EFI mode too? You have to be careful whether you boot the cd in the standard bios mode, or efi mode. It seems it will not install in efi unless you boot it in efi.

Look in bios in the boot devices and make the cd-rom (uefi) before the cd-rom (standard). It seems you will have both options on uefi boards.

jonnyboysmithy
July 22nd, 2012, 09:10 PM
So installing grub the usual way on one harddisk doesn't work?

Run the following, with X being the your Ubuntu drive:
Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
Maybe something screwed up in your fstab. :confused:
EDIT: Like Darkod says it probably a UEFI thing, (I'm a semi-noob :P)

oldfred
July 22nd, 2012, 11:12 PM
I really do not know if you can chain from a BIOS/MBR to efi partition. Most suggest having entire system boot with BIOS mode or entire system boot with UEFI mode. I know when booting from gpt drive with BIOS I had to have the insmod part_msdos to get it to work with the Windows XP in a MBR(msdos) drive. So I think you have to tell it that the drive is gpt and fat. Some of the mod files are built in, but do not hurt to add, others have to be added to get grub2 to work.

But I have seen these three different chain entries. I think you have to specify the {root} when it is a different drive.

Chainload entry:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/807801
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1934773
menuentry "Windows 7 UEFI" {
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
insmod search_fs_uuid
insmod chain
set root='(hd1,gpt1)'
}

search --file --no-floppy --set=root /efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t186440
}

Lyfang
July 22nd, 2012, 11:14 PM
See also: UEFIBooting (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting)

drmrgd
July 23rd, 2012, 12:04 AM
I don't use UEFI, but I was under the impression you are not using grub2 any more. You use the built-in UEFI bootloader.

Did you install ubuntu in EFI mode too? You have to be careful whether you boot the cd in the standard bios mode, or efi mode. It seems it will not install in efi unless you boot it in efi.

Look in bios in the boot devices and make the cd-rom (uefi) before the cd-rom (standard). It seems you will have both options on uefi boards.

Hmmm...that's interesting. I didn't install Ubuntu UEFI because I didn't realize there was a different way to install it at the time and at that time didn't understand the distinction. I'm guessing that if I reinstall Ubuntu, selecting UEFI in the BIOS boot menu, then I might be able to either get the Windows boot loader or Grub to cooperate? It might be to what oldfred was saying and that I'm mixing and matching here.

I could certainly give that a try.

drmrgd
July 23rd, 2012, 12:07 AM
I really do not know if you can chain from a BIOS/MBR to efi partition. Most suggest having entire system boot with BIOS mode or entire system boot with UEFI mode. I know when booting from gpt drive with BIOS I had to have the insmod part_msdos to get it to work with the Windows XP in a MBR(msdos) drive. So I think you have to tell it that the drive is gpt and fat. Some of the mod files are built in, but do not hurt to add, others have to be added to get grub2 to work.

But I have seen these three different chain entries. I think you have to specify the {root} when it is a different drive.

Chainload entry:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/807801
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1934773
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
insmod search_fs_uuid
insmod chain
set root='(hd1,gpt1)'
}

}

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t186440
}

Thanks for the tips Fred. I think I see what's the problem here, and as you say I think I'm mixing and matching bootloader protocols here. I did try the three iterations of grub entries for Windows, and they all failed.

I did just retry the first selection you have since it has more mod files than one of my attempts. I get a different error in that case, I get an "invalid signature" error. I can't seem to figure out what that means, although I suspect it's saying that I have a syntax error with the drive location or something to that effect.

I'm sort of thinking now after reading all this that I need to reinstall Kubuntu as UEFI.

oldfred
July 23rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
Some more links on useful info:
Grub2 efi info ArchLinux - Arch but grub2 is grub2 with maybe minor differences by distribution
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Bootloader_Installation_for_UEFI_systems

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPT
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub2

If you're using UEFI mode to boot, you don't need a BIOS Boot Partition with gpt partitions (only for BIOS), but you do need an EFI System Partition (ESP). This is entirely different; it should be a 200-300 MiB FAT32 partition that's flagged as an ESP and must be the first partition. In libparted-based tools, you'd give it a "boot" flag (which is entirely unrelated to the MBR boot/active flag, although libparted makes them look the same). In gdisk, you'd give it a type code of EF00.
An EFI System Partition EF00 (~100 to -256MiB, FAT32) for UEFI, a BIOS Boot Partition EF02 (~1MiB, no filesystem) for BIOS, and whatever partitions you want for Linux. You must set the partition type codes correctly, but how you do this depends on the utility you use to create them. Also, you should be sure to create a GUID Partition Table (GPT) on the disk, not a Master Boot Record (MBR) partition table. In BIOS mode, Ubuntu's installer defaults to creating MBR partitions, at least on sub-1TB disks, so you may need to use another utility to do the partitioning. You do not need both but it does not hurt as both are small, and then you can configure easily to boot with either UEFI or BIOS. You can boot via bios AND efi (after setting up your efi boot entry using efibootmgr or via efi shell and running the efi binary)

Most that have gotten UEFI to work with Ubuntu have partitioned in advance.

For the Total space you want for Ubuntu:
Ubuntu's standard install is just / (root) & swap, but it is better to add another partition for /home:
If gpt(not MBR) partitioning include these first - all partitions with gpt are primary
250 MB efi FAT32
1 MB bios_grub no format
Ubuntu partitions - smaller root only where hard drive space is limited
1. 10-25 GB Mountpoint / primary or logical beginning ext4(or ext3)
2. all but 2 GB Mountpoint /home logical beginning ext4(or ext3)
3. 2 GB Mountpoint swap logical

Depending on how much memory you have you may not absolutely need swap but having some is still recommended. I do not hibernate (boots fast enough for me) but if hibernating then you need swap equal to RAM in GiB not GB. And if dual booting with windows a shared NTFS partition is also recommended. But you usually cannot create that as part of the install, just leave some space. Or partition in advance (recommended).
One advantage of partitioning in advance is that the installer will use the swap space to speed up the install. Thanks Herman for the tip.

drmrgd
July 23rd, 2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks for all the help and advice. This makes total sense to me. I'll partition ahead of time as you propose, and then I guess run gdisk to get up the GPT (I don't remember an obvious way to do this from KDE's flavor of gparted). The only question I have is that I remember reading something about leaving a small amount of unpartitioned space at the end of the drive for a secondary GPT table. Is that something you're familiar with?

I do like to hibernate the system (although this one should boot a lot faster than the last one, so maybe that's moot), so I'll probably put a fairly large swap space in there. Also, I have an external drive that I usually use as my main storage space / xfer stuff between Linux and Windows drive. So, I won't include a NTFS partition on there.

I'm going to have to read up on EFI shell and efibootmanager as I'm not at all sure how to appropriately run those. I do see a launch EFI shell option in BIOS, but it throws an error when I try to run it.

oldfred
July 23rd, 2012, 04:40 AM
You can also download a gparted liveCD.

http://partedmagic.com/
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/faq.php

When you partition with gpt it automatically creates the backup partition table at the end of the drive. I did not have to do anything special.

drmrgd
July 23rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
You can also download a gparted liveCD.

http://partedmagic.com/
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/faq.php

When you partition with gpt it automatically creates the backup partition table at the end of the drive. I did not have to do anything special.

Oh, I see. That's a much better way to go. I'll use that strategy to partition.

Boy, I really had no idea how different all of this is from BIOS / MBR, and was totally unprepared! For all of the research I did on hardware for this build, I never thought to check out something as basic as drive partitioning. Definitely learned something new here!

I'll likely try this all out tonight and post back how it goes. Hopefully no hiccups!

oldfred
July 23rd, 2012, 04:11 PM
Good luck & let us know details.

As I understand it, the way you boot the install is the way in installs. Both Windows & Ubuntu install CD/DVDs from UEFI will show two ways to boot installer, one UEFI/efi and the other BIOS/legacy/AHCI or whatever that vendor calls it.

I believe if you have both efi & bios_grub partitions, you can install grub twice once grub2 (grub-pc) to MBR and once grub-efi to efi partition and boot either way. Not sure how that may work with two drives as I do not totally understand UEFI. I also am trying to learn as I hope to build new system soon.

wnelson
July 23rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
I found this a day or so ago it is for sony yet I it seems that the same process will work for most UEFI systems.

http://www.hackourlife.com/sony-vaio-with-insyde-h2o-efi-bios-ubuntu-12-04-dual-boot/

Walt

drmrgd
July 28th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Well, work's been a bit on the hellish side, and so I've not had the chance to fully work on this until today really. But, after a few days of trial and error, I finally have a working dual boot, UEFI system! I'm hoping that a kernel upgrade does not break anything. This seems pretty stable, though.

For future people's sake, here's how I finally got it working. Note, I'm working with two hard drives here, and the instructions will likely vary for those working from just one drive. It's also worth noting that if you're working from two drives, it might be handy to unplug the Windows drive from the system to help diagnose problems. I couldn't figure out what was going wrong until I realized that I couldn't even boot Kubuntu when it was the only drive in the system. Final note is that this was with Kubuntu 12.04. Any other versions may stray from this (especially older versions). However, I was happy to learn that I was over thinking things, and that out of the box it seems that Kubuntu 12.04 (and likely Ubuntu as well) set things up well right from the start.

Anyway, here are the steps I took:

1. Make an Ubuntu (or in my case Kubuntu) .iso boot disk as usual.

2. In BIOS (if yours supports it) load the disk using UEFI mode. If you don't specifically choose to boot the .iso as UEFI, you may be installing in BIOS mode instead of UEFI, which will cause problems later. We *need* to make sure that both OSes are UEFI here or else going with the traditional BIOS approach is the best tack to take.

3. I tried as others have suggested to preformat the drive. However, I was either doing something wrong or there is a bug / glitch here and I was unable to get a stable working Kubuntu system to boot. Every time I would try to boot from a fresh install, I would get something like "Reboot and Select the Proper Boot Device" errors. The goal here is to format the drive in GPT mode (instead of the old standby MBR mode), creating a new type of /boot partition as follows (let's assume the drive is /dev/sda for this):

Partition Type Mount Point Size Flags
/dev/sda1 fat32 /boot/efi 200MiB boot
/dev/sda2 linuxswap (if you want one that is!)
/dev/sda3 ext4 /
/dev/sda4 ext4 /home

This is all assuming you want those options. Minimally, you need to have a FAT32 EFI partition at the start that is around 200MiB bit that is marked as /boot. This option was selectable for me when I chose manual partition during the Kubuntu setup. You may or may not find that pre-formatting the hard drive with a Gparted Live CD works better (which I've seen posted in several places around the net). However, with 12.04, it seems like it handled the above scheme with no problems. The rest of the partitions can be as you like following standard guidelines (if there is such a thing!).

4. During the partition phase of the installation, be sure to choose to have the boot loader installed on sda1. Just leaving it as sda didn't seem to work well for me.

5. Once the isntallation finishes, reboot the system and verify that when you choose to boot Kubuntu as UEFI it boots without problem. You may or (more likely) may not see a Grub menu before it loads the system. This is normal (even from the old days) if there were no other OSes present for Grub to present.

If you're with me to this point, then we're in the home stretch. If not, you may need to verify that you're indeed installing Kubuntu as UEFI, and that in the /boot/efi parition that you made, you see a similar file structure:

dave@CygnusX1:/boot$ ls
abi-3.2.0-23-generic efi initrd.img-3.2.0-23-generic memtest86+_multiboot.bin vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic
config-3.2.0-23-generic grub memtest86+.bin System.map-3.2.0-23-generic

dave@CygnusX1:/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu$ ls
grubx64.efi
dave@CygnusX1:/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu$

dave@CygnusX1:/boot/grub$ ls
acpi.mod datetime.mod gcry_twofish.mod lsmmap.mod parttool.lst test_blockarg.mod
adler32.mod dm_nv.mod gcry_whirlpool.mod ls.mod parttool.mod testload.mod
affs.mod echo.mod gettext.mod lspci.mod password.mod test.mod
afs_be.mod efi_gop.mod gfxmenu.mod lssal.mod password_pbkdf2.mod tga.mod
afs.mod efi_uga.mod gfxterm.mod lvm.mod pbkdf2.mod trig.mod
aout.mod elf.mod gptsync.mod lzopio.mod pci.mod true.mod
appleldr.mod example_functional_test.mod grub.cfg mdraid09.mod play.mod udf.mod
ata.mod ext2.mod grub.efi mdraid1x.mod png.mod ufs1.mod
ata_pthru.mod extcmd.mod grubenv memdisk.mod probe.mod ufs2.mod
at_keyboard.mod fat.mod gzio.mod memrw.mod raid5rec.mod uhci.mod
befs_be.mod fixvideo.mod halt.mod minicmd.mod raid6rec.mod usb_keyboard.mod
befs.mod font.mod hashsum.mod minix2.mod raid.mod usb.mod
bitmap.mod fshelp.mod hdparm.mod minix.mod read.mod usbms.mod
bitmap_scale.mod fs.lst hello.mod mmap.mod reboot.mod usbserial_common.mod
blocklist.mod functional_test.mod help.mod moddep.lst regexp.mod usbserial_ftdi.mod
boot.mod gcry_arcfour.mod hexdump.mod msdospart.mod reiserfs.mod usbserial_pl2303.mod
bsd.mod gcry_blowfish.mod hfs.mod multiboot2.mod relocator.mod usbtest.mod
btrfs.mod gcry_camellia.mod hfsplus.mod multiboot.mod scsi.mod video_bochs.mod
bufio.mod gcry_cast5.mod iorw.mod nilfs2.mod search_fs_file.mod video_cirrus.mod
cat.mod gcry_crc.mod iso9660.mod normal.mod search_fs_uuid.mod video_fb.mod
chain.mod gcry_des.mod jfs.mod ntfscomp.mod search_label.mod videoinfo.mod
cmp.mod gcry_md4.mod jpeg.mod ntfs.mod search.mod video.lst
command.lst gcry_md5.mod keylayouts.mod ohci.mod serial.mod video.mod
configfile.mod gcry_rfc2268.mod keystatus.mod part_acorn.mod setjmp.mod videotest.mod
core.efi gcry_rijndael.mod linux.mod part_amiga.mod setpci.mod xfs.mod
cpio.mod gcry_rmd160.mod loadbios.mod part_apple.mod sfs.mod xnu.mod
cpuid.mod gcry_seed.mod loadenv.mod part_bsd.mod sleep.mod xnu_uuid.mod
crypto.lst gcry_serpent.mod locale part_gpt.mod squash4.mod xzio.mod
crypto.mod gcry_sha1.mod loopback.mod partmap.lst tar.mod zfsinfo.mod
cs5536.mod gcry_sha256.mod lsacpi.mod part_msdos.mod terminal.lst zfs.mod
datehook.mod gcry_sha512.mod lsefimmap.mod part_sun.mod terminal.mod
date.mod gcry_tiger.mod lsefisystab.mod part_sunpc.mod terminfo.mod
dave@CygnusX1:/boot/grub$

Again, with just one drive in the system so that you can diagnose things, be sure that you have a working UEFI install of Kubuntu that boots without problems before going on. Until you have that, dual booting is impossible.

6. Now if you have Kubuntu booting normally as UEFI, we need to add Windows to Grub. First we need to know the UUID of its /boot/efi parition. To find out, run (after plugging the Windows drive back in that is!):

sudo blkid

Then look for the UUID for that partition which will be vfat and have a short, 8 character UUID instead of the long one. In my case, it was:

dave@CygnusX1:/boot/grub$ sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="DEEB-3A1A" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sda2: UUID="b170157f-8d99-4f06-8ce2-92e8e3f44f43" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda3: UUID="58702a5d-45aa-4c17-9de9-650e2d21d30e" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda4: UUID="1b1c5499-2500-4432-a049-41c93399382d" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="1261-7FB0" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sdb3: UUID="4ECC6BF6CC6BD6AD" TYPE="ntfs

Since I know that the Windows drive is /dev/sdb, I know that the UUID of the Windows efi_boot partition is 1261-7FB0.

7. Add an entry to Grub to load the Windows EFI Bootloader by running:

sudo nano /etc/grub.d/40_custom

and add the following:

menuentry "Windows 7" {
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
insmod search_fs_uuid
insmod chain
}

Note that where I have '1261-7FB0' in my entry, you'll want to replace that with the UUID you found in the last step.

8. Run:

sudo update-grub

in order to add the entry to the grub.cfg line. On my system, I didn't specifically see it add an entry for Windows when it was discovering things. I was worried this didn't work but decided to try it out anyway and rebooted. I was pleasantly surprised to see a new Windows 7 entry in Grub, which loaded without any problems.

I believe that once you add the Windows entry to grub.cfg you should see the Grub menu when you reboot. If not, then you'll want to edit /etc/default/grub and comment out the two GRUB_HIDDEN lines as such:

#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

That will ensure that you see the Grub menu every time, without having to press 'shift' to see it.

By the way, you'll also need to make sure that your Kubuntu hard drive is the default one in the Boot order so that the system knows to load it first. Of course, if you try to have the Windows disk be the default, you'll never get to Grub and the whole thing falls apart.

Well, that's about it. After messing around with a bunch of solutions, this seems to be working quite well, and barring any unforeseen breakage from Kernel updates (which I don't think will happen), I think this is the best way to go as it offers the most flexibility without really altering the finicky and fragile Windows boot loader (which I managed to break more than once - good thing it's easy to fix with the installation DVD!).

I hope that helps someone in the future, and they don't spend nearly as much time as I did trying to figure this all out.

oldfred
July 28th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Glad you got it working.

I think this is the first dual UEFI boot on two drives that I have seen work. Thanks.

Poutrathor
November 7th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Drmrgd, Thank You ! Deeply!

Oldfred send me to your solution and it works! I am very happy and grateful.

Just if someone read this, my active EFI partition is on the Windows Hard disk (while drmrgd has his EFI with Linux). I suppose the important point is to have the correct chain:

Configure (U)EFI to start on the correct partition the one with Grub
Configure the Grub files to have the correct pointer in the second drive.

I hope I did not write bs ;)

My thread : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081220

See you!

drmrgd
November 7th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Wow, great! I'm glad this was able to help you, although I would think the info is a bit outdated already. Enjoy your new dual boot system. I'm certainly very much enjoying mine!

grahammechanical
November 7th, 2012, 02:33 PM
This will add the latest information into the mix now that Windows 8 machines are on the market:

http://web.dodds.net/~vorlon/wiki/blog/SecureBoot_in_Ubuntu_12.10/

Regards.