PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Removing kde login menu

Friwise
July 22nd, 2012, 07:58 PM
Hello!!!!!

I tried to see how beautiful is the kde4 desktop.
I was not so impressed and in fact I was quite disappointed so I uninstalled it following the instructions of another website http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/pureubuntu. It worked somehow... I mean it is not any more in the options of login.
However the login is still the KDE4 and I want to get rid of it because it just makes my login slower.

Is there any way I can do that?

Thanks in advance

Superpelican12
July 23rd, 2012, 09:57 AM
What you mean with "KDE4-loginscreen" is called KDM (K Display Manager).
Ubuntu' s default display manager is now LightDM. In the past (before Unity etc.)
it was GDM (Gnome Display Manager) . When you installed the KDE4
package it also installed KDE' s default login screen/display manager.
What you need to do is uninstall the "kdm" package.
P.S. May I ask what you exactly found disappointing about KDE ;-)

Friwise
July 23rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks for answering!

I think I uninstalled the kde package. In the log in options there is no KDE option anymore. However the log in page (desktop or whatever the picture we see when we need to log in) is still the same KDE.

What I did not like is that I couldn't find some programmes (i.e log files viewer) and it was slowing my laptop too much with no real beauty effect.

In any case. Can you help me uninstall the KDE package properly, since this is what I may need?

cmcanulty
July 23rd, 2012, 04:15 PM
Install splash screen manager and set it to what you want. I has same problem after trying LXDE

Friwise
July 23rd, 2012, 05:13 PM
I will try that now and I will let you know if and how it worked. Hmmm.... I don't know how to install it. I can't find it at ubuntu softwar center. Can you help a bit?

:KS Thanks in advance!!!

Krytarik
July 23rd, 2012, 05:25 PM
Seems like you overlooked an important bit of Superpelican12's reply:

What you need to do is uninstall the "kdm" package.
Apart from that, I'd also run this command, to get rid of all other packages the installation of KDE may have left over:

sudo apt-get autoremove --purgeRegards.

Friwise
July 23rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
Thank you all!!! Especially Krytarik!!!
Solved after followinf Krytarik's advice.

cmcanulty
July 23rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
Here it is also is in synaptic