PDA

View Full Version : Why do they always cancel SciFi shows just as you start to really like them?

fixitdude
July 22nd, 2012, 06:16 AM
Why do they always cancel SciFi shows just as you start to really like them?

They seem to be doing OK, and the fan base is growing but yet they get canceled?

Like Battle Star Galactica, a lot of people were watching it and commenting on it and it seemed to be getting closer to "mainstream" acceptance by a lot of non SciFi type people.

It's hard to believe that the SciFi executives are really that out of touch. Or is it the money people?

Now they are canceling Eureka.

And the new shows are about haunted streets or something dumb like that.

Is there some sort of psychological reason for this? Let "intellectuals" become happy and comfortable with something and then take it away so they are never happy? What do money people gain from that?

Giant Speck
July 22nd, 2012, 06:39 AM
It's not just SyFy, though. FOX cancelled Firefly after showing less than a season's worth of episodes out of order. NBC cancelled Heroes just as it was finally climbing out of the slump it had been in for two seasons or so. USA cancelled The 4400 after a cliffhanger season finale. The list goes on.

Favux
July 22nd, 2012, 07:09 AM
My understanding is it was the money people in Eureka's case. It was apparently considered SyFy's premier program by the SyFy folks. But it cost too much money to shoot. So they cancelled it.

And I'm with you. I have no interest at all in their "reality" shows on ghosts or whatever. Ooh, a night vision camera. Spooky. I mean come on. But someone must be watching them.

ubuntu27
July 22nd, 2012, 07:14 AM
What? They canceled Eureka? And here I was planning to start watching the show.

They also canceled "No Ordinary Family" :(

Learning Linux 2011
July 22nd, 2012, 07:18 AM
They frequently put their best stuff out there when they know the show is getting canceled. They have nothing to lose at that point. And I think they blow their remaining money going out with a bang.

Sorry, but I don't think anyone actually watched Battlestar.

lisati
July 22nd, 2012, 07:20 AM
Ooh, a night vision camera. Spooky. I mean come on.
Not to forget the stray specks of dust and lens flare that could explain some of the so-called orbs.... :D

Giant Speck
July 22nd, 2012, 07:40 AM
Sorry, but I don't think anyone actually watched Battlestar.

Battlestar Galactica was pretty popular. It's still popular years after its cancellation.

lisati
July 22nd, 2012, 07:49 AM
Battlestar Galactica was pretty popular. It's still popular years after its cancellation.

Both the "original" 1970s version and the more recent 2004 version have some merit.

pablopancho
July 22nd, 2012, 08:37 AM
Eureka is a great show and I'm sorry to see it cancelled but it had quite a few seasons - let's be grateful for that. Nothing lasts forever in TV land (The Bold and the Beautiful tried though :P ).

Firefly is the best example of cancelling the show without giving it a chance. Good that they repaired some damage with Serenity.

4400 was ended in a bad style but it was declining in quality so maybe it's better that way.

BSG was properly finished (though many hated the ending) while its prequel Caprica turned out to be a weird show that didn't find wider audience (sadly, because I liked it).

Heroes had only one good season, the first one, so I wasn't sorry to see it gone.

Not many people watched Defying Gravity but IMHO it was watchable. Dollhouse was rather boring initially but later it found its feet and got cancelled to my disappointment.

Stargate Universe was in my view cancelled too early. Maybe because they tried to make it another BSG while the public expected something closer to SG-1 and SGA.

Also V wasn't that bad even if CGI was awful and it featured most annoying character in the TV history.

The question is: Do we have any Sci-fi shows left?

UltimateCat
July 22nd, 2012, 08:41 AM
My understanding is it was the money people in Eureka's case. It was apparently considered SyFy's premier program by the SyFy folks. But it cost too much money to shoot. So they cancelled it.

And I'm with you. I have no interest at all in their "reality" shows on ghosts or whatever. Ooh, a night vision camera. Spooky. I mean come on. But someone must be watching them.

Speaking of Sci-Fy The Outer Limits is what I really miss-
That show was cool-

I like your avatar-

Giant Speck
July 22nd, 2012, 08:41 AM
V was clunky as heck, in both the effects and plot/character development departments.

pablopancho
July 22nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
V was clunky as heck, in both the effects and plot/character development departments.

Agree but it had Laura Vandervoort and Morena Baccarin... :P

Now we have only Continuum and Fringe is nearing its end...

drawkcab
July 22nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
Continuum has some really interesting social/political/economic angles but the writers are bungling them and the show is otherwise a train wreck.

I can't belive Falling Skies made it to a second season.

Jay MC
July 22nd, 2012, 11:03 AM
For cult TV in general, the situation in the UK feels even harsher, because seasons are much shorter (six episodes is common).

So if a show gets axed early on, you might only have a few hours worth of eps to get on DVD. Demons and The Fades (which won a major award) only have six eps each, and they aren't making any more.

Even if a show gets renewed, it might only total twelve eps - like sci-fi sitcom Hyperdrive or the remake of Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased).

Misfits is an example of a successful show that hasn't been axed - it's been renewed for a fourth season - but it's still only got twenty-one eps under its belt.

I think the good thing about US shows is that even the short-lived ones usually have quite a few eps in comparison. So once you discover them, you get good value out of the DVDs.

forrestcupp
July 22nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Eureka was an awesome show. I hate it that it's over. I thought they did an excellent job wrapping it up in the final episode. Sometimes it felt a little rushed because they had to fit a lot into an hour. But I don't think they could have done any better with it at all. I especially liked how they ended it. If you didn't watch from the very beginning of the series, you probably didn't understand it.

What? They canceled Eureka? And here I was planning to start watching the show.You still should if you have Netflix. I think everything but the final season is on there.

Eureka is a great show and I'm sorry to see it cancelled but it had quite a few seasons - let's be grateful for that. Nothing lasts forever in TV land (The Bold and the Beautiful tried though :P ).
That's true, but they were planning on running for one more season to wrap everything up. Since they got cancelled after they had already created this season, they had to beg for one more episode, and cram everything into that. If they wouldn't have given them that, there would have been a lot of angry people.

I don't understand it. Eureka got good ratings. Even as popular as it was, they just didn't want to spend the money to make the show. So now all SyFy has is The Twilight Zone and a bunch of crap.

CharlesA
July 22nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
You still should if you have Netflix. I think everything but the final season is on there.

I was planning on watching it on Netflix, but I had no idea it was still on the air. Guess I'll start watching it after I finish up Torchwood...

I don't understand it. Eureka got good ratings. Even as popular as it was, they just didn't want to spend the money to make the show. So now all SyFy has is The Twilight Zone and a bunch of crap.

Seriously. I stopped watching when they stopped showing Star Trek at like 5pm. I don't even remember if that was before or after they changed their name. There is nothing but crap on TV anymore. :|

forrestcupp
July 22nd, 2012, 05:27 PM
I was planning on watching it on Netflix, but I had no idea it was still on the air. Guess I'll start watching it after I finish up Torchwood...

It's well worth it. You may have a long wait for the final season to be on there, though.

CharlesA
July 22nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
It's well worth it. You may have a long wait for the final season to be on there, though.
I remember hearing about it and thought it sounded pretty cool. Never enough hours in the day. :p

drawkcab
July 22nd, 2012, 05:35 PM
I'm so/so on torchwood. It's still too Dr. Whoish for me.

mips
July 22nd, 2012, 06:07 PM
I'm so/so on torchwood. It's still too Dr. Whoish for me.

I'm not big on Dr. Who but I have enjoyed specials like "The Waters of Mars (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1413314/)". Really good.

Torchwood: Children of Earth was brilliant for me. I have not seen Torchwood: Miracle Day yet but if it's anything like Children of Earth then I think I will like it ;)

If you wanna watch a good older sci-fi series get Babylon 5 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105946/), my favourite. Really, give it a try.

nec207
July 22nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
Why do they always cancel SciFi shows just as you start to really like them?

They seem to be doing OK, and the fan base is growing but yet they get canceled?

Like Battle Star Galactica, a lot of people were watching it and commenting on it and it seemed to be getting closer to "mainstream" acceptance by a lot of non SciFi type people.

It's hard to believe that the SciFi executives are really that out of touch. Or is it the money people?

Now they are canceling Eureka.

And the new shows are about haunted streets or something dumb like that.

Is there some sort of psychological reason for this? Let "intellectuals" become happy and comfortable with something and then take it away so they are never happy? What do money people gain from that?

It is money :P It is cheaper for TV to be lifestyle reality shows and they save a lot of money. Also more and more young people are using torrent to download free movies and free shows:mad::mad:And look this what we get hollywood not pumping out many movies and TV turning more and more and more and more into mostly all lifestyle reality shows .

There is price you pay.

If people use torrent less and watch more TV shows and commercials the networks will get more money and you have less commercials and better shows. Same with people who go and buy movies and hollywood will have more movies.

CharlesA
July 22nd, 2012, 06:45 PM
I'm not big on Dr. Who but I have enjoyed specials like "The Waters of Mars (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1413314/)". Really good.

I really liked that episode. :D

If you wanna watch a good older sci-fi series get Babylon 5 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105946/), my favourite. Really, give it a try.

I ended up buying that one on DVD from the WBShop cuz it wasn't on Netflix streaming anymore. So worth it.

Linuxratty
July 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
I have no interest at all in their "reality" shows on ghosts or whatever. Ooh, a night vision camera. Spooky. I mean come on. But someone must be watching them.

Everything now being "reality" shows,ghost hunters and other nonsense is the reason I no longer even have a tv...
I love sf...Even the sci fi channel is no longer sci fi...Pathetic.

Favux
July 22nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
I'm nearly there with you Linuxratty. That tells you just how bad they've made things when you consider how profound my TV addiction is.

My sister reports, just like you would expect with so little content creation, that acting jobs are close to impossible to find now. I mention her because she was in a Star Trek series pilot which didn't get picked up.

codingman
July 22nd, 2012, 09:57 PM
I don't use my TV much other than for the weather and for connecting my laptop to it, I like big screens. :D

But rarely I catch a glance at other channels, the ones with "reality" TV shows on them, all that is left on TV now is junk and commercials. I bet when the first TV's were released, and several channels were on, I don't think people were watching a baby sitter drop a baby and people who fainted for having a cookie crum on their clothes.

DTV stands for Degraded TeleVision.

forrestcupp
July 22nd, 2012, 10:05 PM
Everything now being "reality" shows,ghost hunters and other nonsense is the reason I no longer even have a tv...
I love sf...Even the sci fi channel is no longer sci fi...Pathetic.That's why they changed the name of the channel to SyFy. ;)

My sister reports, just like you would expect with so little content creation, that acting jobs are close to impossible to find now. I mention her because she was in a Star Trek series pilot which didn't get picked up.That's pretty cool.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
July 22nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
I love sf...Even the sci fi channel is no longer sci fi...Pathetic.
only 2 uses for a tv
1 use as monitor
2 use with gaming console

one reason i quit watching shows was cause the season ended and i never bothered to lookup/remember when the next one stared and i never found out when cause was not anything to after that season ended so i never saw the ad saying when the next one starts

ELD
July 23rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
I really liked Caprica it hooked me and the mrs right in loved it, ended far too soon.

There is a new Battlestar series coming out called Blood and Chrome (I think that's the name) to bridge the gap between Caprica and Galactica, looking forward to that one!

Lupi
July 24th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I was very disappointed when they cancelled "Dark Angel". But nothing compares to "Babylon 5"'s demise. It was like an arrow in my chest.

madjr
July 24th, 2012, 06:05 AM
loved V and caprica.

But right now I guess I'll have to get my sci-fi dose from other places like some anime/manga, games and books.

LarsKongo
July 24th, 2012, 07:32 AM
The question is: Do we have any Sci-fi shows left?
Falling Skies renewed for a 3rd season. (2nd season better than the 1st so far. Don't really care much for the characters though.)
Continuum. New series from Canada. (Not the best, but watchable.)
Fringe. Last 5th season this fall.

As for upcoming series I dunno. Seems a bit stale. I wonder if the BSG prequel Blood & Chrome will air or not.

deadflowr
July 24th, 2012, 07:43 AM
This one's easy to answer. Ratings.
To help you understand the ratings system here:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/numbers-102/

chili555
July 24th, 2012, 03:55 PM
This one's easy to answer. Ratings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29

Yes, but what would you expect the ratings to be when:
Firefly consists of one two-hour pilot and thirteen one-hour episodes. The series originally aired in the United States on Fox in September 2002. The episodes were aired out of the intended order. Although Whedon had designed the show to run for seven years, low ratings resulted in cancellation by Fox in December 2002 after only 11 of the 14 completed episodes had aired in the United States and Canada.It was a brilliant series that is now probably even more popular in syndication, DVD, et al. It was ruined by Fox's ineptitude. [Insert curseword that could earn me an infraction here.]

forrestcupp
July 24th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I just watched the first episode of Firefly for the first time on Netflix. I think I'm really going to like it.

I tried watching it once last year, but I couldn't get past the first 5 minutes. It was nothing but a big space fight on some planet, and I was thinking that I'm not going to like a show like that. Yesterday, I thought I'd give it another shot, and I accidentally resumed from where I left off instead of restarting it. Almost immediately where I left off, the show completely changed into an awesome show. If I would have just given it one more minute, I would have loved it. :)

CharlesA
July 24th, 2012, 07:53 PM

Yes, but what would you expect the ratings to be when:It was a brilliant series that is now probably even more popular in syndication, DVD, et al. It was ruined by Fox's ineptitude. [Insert curseword that could earn me an infraction here.]

*infracts* :p

I wasn't around to see it when it was on the air but after hearing a lot of talk about how good it was, I ended up buying it on DVD.

I just watched the first episode of Firefly for the first time on Netflix. I think I'm really going to like it.

I tried watching it once last year, but I couldn't get past the first 5 minutes. It was nothing but a big space fight on some planet, and I was thinking that I'm not going to like a show like that. Yesterday, I thought I'd give it another shot, and I accidentally resumed from where I left off instead of restarting it. Almost immediately where I left off, the show completely changed into an awesome show. If I would have just given it one more minute, I would have loved it. :)

Seriously! The first part of the pilot wasn't that interesting, but it did have some backstory about Serenity Valley.

drawkcab
July 24th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I could never get through firefly either. Something about the unsubtle mixing of sci fi and western genres turns my stomach.

deadflowr
July 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM

Yes, but what would you expect the ratings to be when:It was a brilliant series that is now probably even more popular in syndication, DVD, et al. It was ruined by Fox's ineptitude. [Insert curseword that could earn me an infraction here.]

Firefly's cancellation is a text book example of Monday morning quarterbacking. IMO Fox made, what was at the time, the right decision.
I wouldn't call Fox inept because a show failed in its initial run to gain any worthy viewership. Fox did everything for that show by the set standard book.
They promoted the show heavily.
They gave it an historically significant timeslot.(The x-Files first slot, Hey if it worked then why not now?)
Pilots are rarely aired on first-runs, if ever.(pilots are made as selling points to sponsors and not for the audience)
They kept with it, even as the ratings kept falling.
They gave the producers the ability to come up with a way to finish the series through third parties(Serenity)
It is unfortunate that such a good show had to be cancelled, but good shows alone don't pay the bills. Sponsors do, and when ratings tank, sponsorships dry up as well.

drawkcab
July 25th, 2012, 12:36 AM
As others have pointed out, sometimes it just simply comes down the bottom line. A show that does relatively well might cost a bunch to produce in the first place. If a show isn't generating a lot of revenue, it is going to be replaced.

forrestcupp
July 25th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Seriously! The first part of the pilot wasn't that interesting, but it did have some backstory about Serenity Valley.After watching a couple of episodes, I went back and rewatched the beginning of the pilot, and it made a lot more sense. It actually explained a couple of things.

Firefly's cancellation is a text book example of Monday morning quarterbacking. IMO Fox made, what was at the time, the right decision.
I wouldn't call Fox inept because a show failed in its initial run to gain any worthy viewership. Fox did everything for that show by the set standard book.
So, technically, the show was cancelled because of a bunch of inept people who weren't smart enough to watch an awesome show. :)

chili555
July 25th, 2012, 03:09 PM
because of a bunch of inept people who weren't smart enough to watch an awesome show. ...some of which were viewers and sponsors. The debate will go on amongst hard-core Firefly/Serenity/Whedon fans for many years; evidently fruitlessly.

I would pay a premium price and be first in line to see Serenity II 3D.

Morena Baccarin...*sighhhh*

CharlesA
July 25th, 2012, 04:34 PM
After watching a couple of episodes, I went back and rewatched the beginning of the pilot, and it made a lot more sense. It actually explained a couple of things.

I had a few "eureka" moments while watching Firefly. ;)

Morena Baccarin...*sighhhh*

Bingo! Don't forget about Kaylee either. ;)

Grenage
July 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Firefly is the best example of cancelling the show without giving it a chance. Good that they repaired some damage with Serenity.

A tragic cancellation, no doubt.

BSG was properly finished (though many hated the ending) while its prequel Caprica turned out to be a weird show that didn't find wider audience (sadly, because I liked it).

I liked the ending, although the last season could probably have been cut down to half the length - there was a lot of filler.

Heroes had only one good season, the first one, so I wasn't sorry to see it gone.

Agreed!

Stargate Universe was in my view cancelled too early. Maybe because they tried to make it another BSG while the public expected something closer to SG-1 and SGA.

I think I enjoyed two or three episodes, and never completed the first series. The Stargate 'brand' was quite particular, with its light-hearted humour and style; SGU was imho a terrible attempt at making it hip. The average age of the cast must have been about 16.

I think the grim reality, is that Sci-Fi shows get cancelled because it's a niche market. More people (evidently) want to watch washed-up celebrities eating Kangaroo testicles in a fake jungle.

CharlesA
July 25th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I think I enjoyed two or three episodes, and never completed the first series. The Stargate 'brand' was quite particular, with its light-hearted humour and style; SGU was imho a terrible attempt at making it hip. The average age of the cast must have been about 16.

SG:U was way different from anything on SG1 or SGA, but it grew on me. It came off as more of a drama/reality show on a starship instead of the way the other SG shows were.

I think the grim reality, is that Sci-Fi shows get cancelled because it's a niche market. More people (evidently) want to watch washed-up celebrities eating Kangaroo testicles in a fake jungle.

That ^. Everything is reality TV now.

forrestcupp
July 25th, 2012, 05:30 PM

That's true, but you would think that at least a channel that calls itself "SyFy" would keep running Sci-Fi shows.

Mr.Dee
July 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM
SGU was definitely like watching a daytime soap opera. Face palm. I still watched it, brutal as it was, hoping to catch a glimpse of what the stargate series has been.

Waiting for the next season of The Walking Dead, SOA and Dexter to start and that's all the shows I watch.

I recently started watching Startrek TNG on netflix.

There is currently zero scifi that I watch on television. It really is frustrating to see the crap that they play on the Syfy channel.

pablopancho
July 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM
There is currently zero scifi that I watch on television. It really is frustrating to see the crap that they play on the Syfy channel.

Watch Fringe - it is a real sci-fi and I find it excellent. Pity that they are wrapping it up. Also Continuum is OK despite a few weaknesses. Hell, I'll take anything these days as long as it is sci-fi :P

jedispork
July 26th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Battlestar Galactica was intended for 4 seasons from the start iirc. Season 1 and 4 were the best and the middle two were mostly filler. I was happy they wrapped up the series but I thought it was only mildly entertaining. With the way they like to cancel shows I prefer to wait until a show is established. My biggest problem is not that they cancel a show but they don't allow it to have a wrap up.

I like the old Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. A lot of newer stuff seems lacking in imagination and even when they copy ideas they still manage to ruin it and not just because its been done before. A good example is Day the Earth Stood Still. Star Trek TNG is being remastered for bluray. They have the first season up for free on amazon prime now. I know the show is a bit slow to get going but why not watch some of the older quality stuff than the drivel they are giving us now. Journeyman and Lost room are also a few shows that had a short run that I thought were ok.

cprofitt
July 26th, 2012, 04:22 AM
I think my favorites are:

Dr. Who
Enterprise
Firefly

I am currently watching Farscape on Netflix... decent, but a bit outlandish at the same time... not as bad as the 70s Dr. Who though. It is odd how we re-watch shows years later and think they are cheesy, but as kids they were fantastic.

Firefly is the show I lament the cancellation of the most... with Enterprise a close second.

CharlesA
July 26th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Enterprise

I tried watching Enterprise, but couldn't quite get into it. It is sitting in my Netflix queue, so maybe I will start liking it once I get further into it (and watch it in order).

I am currently watching Farscape on Netflix... decent, but a bit outlandish at the same time...

I suppose that's a valid point. I have Farscape (and Peacekeeper Wars) on DVD and watched it slowly. I thought it was a bit odd at the start but it grew on me.

I remember watching it a long, long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away, maybe), so maybe nostalgia got me.

Grenage
July 26th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Due the lack of SciFi, I ended up going back and watching series I'd missed - that included Babylon 5 and Farscape; I enjoyed both, but particularly Farscape. I didn't know about Peacekeeper Wars at the time, so I thought that the final episode was amazing.

As good as Peacekeeper wars was, it did rather take something away from that.

forrestcupp
July 26th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Now that Eureka is over, I was thinking about starting to watch Warehouse 13 on Netflix, since they kind of crossed paths a little. Has anyone watched Warehouse 13? Is it any good?

Grenage
July 26th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I started watching it, but it wasn't my cup of tea. That said, I don't like Eureka, so you might think it's awesome.

DoubleClicker
July 26th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Both Eureka and Battlestar Galactica were not cancelled. They were planned endings. In fact Eureka was planned to end after season 4, but fan support extended it for a fifth season.

Also not all cancelations have to do with low ratings. There are numerous budget and production issues, that account for the cancelation of good series. Let's face it, scifi is both complicated and expensive.

Of course that still doesn't let Fox off the hook for Firefly. If the same criteria were used for X-Files, it would have been cancelled after a just a few weeks,

pablopancho
July 26th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Sometimes a show has a long run and the ideas dry out, potential gets used up and the only thing left is a good finale. Sometimes the actors get bored and without them the show can't go on. X-Files is an example. I don't know if this is what happened to BSG...

forrestcupp
July 26th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Both Eureka and Battlestar Galactica were not cancelled. They were planned endings. In fact Eureka was planned to end after season 4, but fan support extended it for a fifth season.

Not true. They planned on having Eureka for 6 season, then out of the blue they got cancelled because it was too expensive to make. They had already filmed most of the episodes, and they had to beg for one extra episode to give it a good ending.

I did just find out that SyFy didn't want to cancel Eureka; it was Comcast that did it.

CharlesA
July 26th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I did just find out that SyFy didn't want to cancel Eureka; it was Comcast that did it.

Does not compute!

Giant Speck
July 27th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Does not compute!

SyFy is owned by Comcast.

sffvba[e0rt
July 27th, 2012, 02:06 AM
I liked the idea that BSG had an end, brought closure to the story and didn't wait for it to die a mediocre death with too many seasons.

As for Firefly... :cry:

Giant Speck
July 27th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I was satisfied that they decided to resolve the plot of BSG. I wasn't too satisfied with the actual resolution, though. I think the ending of BSG was way too neat.

CharlesA
July 27th, 2012, 02:09 AM
SyFy is owned by Comcast.
Wow. I never knew. Thanks!

oldsoundguy
July 27th, 2012, 02:24 AM
It really boils down to the numbers .. AUDIENCE numbers AND BOTTOM LINE numbers. It is figured on a "cost per viewer" calculation. Yes, you could actually have more viewers on that expensive show, but how much does it cost to reach them on a per viewer basis. The sponsors need to sell their products and their costs per viewer is part of THEIR budget also, as time on an expensive show is more expensive than time on some schlocky reality show (it really ISN'T reality .. not with camera and sound crews, catering, direction, etc.)

Giant Speck
July 27th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Wow. I never knew. Thanks!

Yeah, it was a sort of "today I learned" moment for myself, as well.

bdfull3r
July 29th, 2012, 01:29 AM
The same reason any show is canceled. Money. broadcasters get money from ads that comes from viewers. Not enough viewers to make a profit, shows get scraped.

The team behind the show could get overzealous and demand too much money, The Simpsons is a good non-sci-fi example.

The show could get more expensive to produce while that isn't usually the main factor but a shrinking or stale viewership could make that a tipping point. NBC's Heroes was a good example. Episodes were getting much more expensive to make and the views weren't growing

It is always possible the team just quits or have a set storyline. A lot of anime's are like this. Regardless of how popular they are, once the source material is gone, the shows finish.

upjeeper
July 29th, 2012, 03:43 AM
i saw a graph recently for the ratings of Heroes, pretty steep and consisten decline from the first season through the 5th. i guess no wonder they cancelled the show.

ctyc
July 30th, 2012, 02:56 AM
They always cancel SciFi shows because they(the people who make those decisions) have no taste and only care about the bottom line.

Sorry.

chili555
July 30th, 2012, 03:35 AM
and only care about the bottom line.What, pray tell, are they in business for? To produce and air programming that neither the viewers nor the sponsors want? Or to make a reasonable return on invested assets for the owners? I'm quite sure that there is some latitude to stick with a slow-starter, but once the viewers and sponsors declare it a non-starter, it's time to invest the networks assets somewhere more productive.

Without a reasonable expectation of profit, there is no network, no programming and no...*sniff*...Firefly.

Life is hard out in the jungle.

Vakman
July 31st, 2012, 01:02 AM
There is a new show coming out on NBC, hopefully it doesn't get cancelled. If anyone wants to see the trailer, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfCRAtkYEI
I think it looks really good.

jamathis
July 31st, 2012, 02:14 AM
They always cancel SciFi shows because they(the people who make those decisions) have no taste and only care about the bottom line.

Sorry.

That always seems to be the case. For example, Journeyman was a great show, but NBC felt compelled to cancel it after one season.

forrestcupp
July 31st, 2012, 02:16 AM
There is a new show coming out on NBC, hopefully it doesn't get cancelled. If anyone wants to see the trailer, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfCRAtkYEI
I think it looks really good.

I saw advertising for Revolution a while back and thought it looked awesome. It looks like something that would be awesome but end up getting canceled. But then again, it's being brought to us by one of the co-creators of Lost. I definitely don't want to forget about Revolution when it comes out.

Vakman
July 31st, 2012, 02:54 AM
I saw advertising for Revolution a while back and thought it looked awesome. It looks like something that would be awesome but end up getting canceled. But then again, it's being brought to us by one of the co-creators of Lost. I definitely don't want to forget about Revolution when it comes out.

Yeah, I don't want to forget about it either. It is NBC so I am a little worried that they might cancel it...
Who knows, it might not even be good. But it does look really good :).

CharlesA
July 31st, 2012, 03:12 AM
Does Warehouse 13 count as scifi? I don't watch it, but:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOUqUS7ty8k&feature=youtu.be

forrestcupp
July 31st, 2012, 03:51 PM
Does Warehouse 13 count as scifi? I don't watch it, but:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOUqUS7ty8k&feature=youtu.be

I'd say that like Eureka, it's probably more sciFI than SCIfi, if you know what I mean. I'll probably end up checking it out sometime, since they had some crossover with Eureka.

CharlesA
July 31st, 2012, 10:40 PM
I'd say that like Eureka, it's probably more sciFI than SCIfi, if you know what I mean. I'll probably end up checking it out sometime, since they had some crossover with Eureka.
Didn't know that. I might have to take a look at it.