PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Card Upgrade

stokan
July 21st, 2012, 11:23 PM
Good day brillant people :D

I am having a little bit of an issue with my Ubuntu install (in my Windows partition ATM) and I seem to have come to a dead end. My EVGA GeForce 280 died on me and I upgraded to the 570. After upgrade, X was essentially useless, as the mouse appeared pinned to the left side of the monitor and graphics were highly distorted. As such I got the drivers for the 570 and attempted an upgrade.

-Moved drivers onto disk
-Booted into recovery
-Swapped to Terminal 1 and stopped Lightdm
-Ran the drivers, it complained about unable to run startup script.
-Tinkered with that for a bit was unable to resolve so I installed it anyways

Now when I boot into Ubuntu, the graphics session is just a blinking cursor. I have tries some other steps found through searching the forums such as deleting X-Conf and a few others that I regretfully can't remember at the moment (had to leave town for a few days).

At this point I am tempted to move important files off to another partition and nuke and pave the Ubuntu drive. However, before I do that I thought I would ask for any suggestions?

My thanks in advance.

soldier1st
July 22nd, 2012, 05:03 AM
did you try to purge the previous nvidia driver? try this When you see the log in screen, hit CTRL+ALT+F2, enter your login name and password, then run these commands in the terminal: Code: sudo apt-get purge nvidia* sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg .This is one issue that linux has not fixed yet. Windows usually has no issue. but when it does, it is easy to fix.

stokan
July 22nd, 2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the response, tried that and it purged a number of packaged and still goes back to the blinking cursor. Should I run the new driver install again?

stokan
July 26th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I ended up giving up and wiping it :(

but its working again :)