PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop edition vs server edition

vectorthorn
July 21st, 2012, 06:47 PM
i was wondering if any one knew the difference between desktop edition and server edition.

i ASSUME that it is merely a matter of what packages are bundled with the initial download, but i would like to know that to be accurate before i install it.

i'm switching from fedora to ubuntu, and need to run services, etc, on the local machine, as it is my development machine and test server, as well as my personal computer.

i assume i can just install desktop edition and install any thing i want after i'm up and running, just like with fedora, right?

TIA

JKyleOKC
July 21st, 2012, 07:06 PM
The most obvious difference is that the server edition has no GUI at all; only the command line. It omits the entire X window system. However you can install any of several desktop packages later, to add the GUI of your choice, if you want.

Less obvious differences exist, but since you plan to use the system as your personal workstation in addition to being a server, the GUI/no-GUI distinction is probably the most significant.

I'm using a desktop version here, but have installed a few server packages to fill my needs. Since the underlying kernel and system configuration is essentially the same for both, either way will work well.

vectorthorn
July 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM
no initial gui, eh? that sounds like fun :D. freebsd did that same thing -you had to set the gui up yourself if you needed it.

well, i'm glad to hear they're other wise the same. that's what i was hoping for.

thanks.

codemaniac
July 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM
+ Ubuntu server installs a server-optimized kernel by default.

vectorthorn
July 21st, 2012, 07:37 PM
ok, now that's interesting. would you happen to know what makes this kernel optimised?

i'll do a bit of digging on that while i run ubuntu from disk for a bit to see if it's got all the packages i need (mdadm, asterisk, callweaver, apache, bind, postfix, mysql, etc, etc). i was trying to see if i could dig through a repo to make sure those packages exist for ubuntu, but i could not find a way, so, i'll just run it from cd and check out the software center, and, if they're there, i'll just go ahead and install.

thanks for that bit of news.

wheeze
July 21st, 2012, 07:40 PM

I thought the distinction between kernels was removed a while back. :confused:

CharlesA
July 21st, 2012, 07:41 PM

Starting with 12.04, both desktop and server versions use the same kernel.

If you intend to install a GUI on top of Ubuntu server, just install the desktop edition. It will be less work.

codemaniac
July 21st, 2012, 07:47 PM
Since the underlying kernel and system configuration is essentially the same for both, either way will work well.

The linux-image-server package is a meta package that will install the latest Server kernel version, while the linux-image-generic package is a meta package for the latest Desktop kernel version.

codemaniac
July 21st, 2012, 08:00 PM
Starting with 12.04, both desktop and server versions use the same kernel.

If you intend to install a GUI on top of Ubuntu server, just install the desktop edition. It will be less work.

Ok I see things have been changed in 12.04 server .

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop#PrecisePangolin.2BAC8-ReleaseNotes.2BAC8-CommonInfrastructure-1.Kernel

vectorthorn
July 21st, 2012, 08:07 PM
@codemaniac:
i read that link, and see no mention of the kernels being made the same, or other wise. can i assume your comment was an affirmation that they are in fact the same, as CharlesA mentioned?

thanks.

codemaniac
July 21st, 2012, 08:09 PM
@codemaniac:
i read that link, and see no mention of the kernels being made the same, or other wise. can i assume your comment was an affirmation that they are in fact the same, as CharlesA mentioned?

thanks.

In the above link i can see .Yes .

The amd64 -generic and -server kernel flavors have been merged into a single -generic kernel flavor for Ubuntu 12.04. Given the few differences that existed between the two flavors, it only made sense to merge the two and reduce the overall maintenance burden over the life of this LTS release.

vectorthorn
July 21st, 2012, 08:12 PM
oh, i see what i did: i only read the sections under the "KERNEL" heading. sorry.