PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Inspiron 2650 & 12.04

Robbobden
July 21st, 2012, 04:52 PM
This thread is closed: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1792335&highlight=2650

So, I started a new one here. This Inspiron 2650 has the P4 Mobile 1.6G and 512M memory. I tried Ubuntu 12.04, Mint 13 and Arch. The LiveCDs hang on bootup unless I add acpi=off to boot parameters. 12.04 is installed and loaded up with what I use. Here's the problem with acpi=off: The CPU runs at max virtually all the time. I see this when I run the command: 'top' in terminal. (Note: I went back and loaded the 12.04 LiveCD up and in terminal, ran the 'top' command. CPU usage is 100% just running the LiveCD). Ok, so I found a thread somewhere suggesting use of pci=noacpi as a boot parameter instead of acpi=off. Well, that solved the high CPU usage. (And the PC will power down with software command too.) It's down to under 8-10 percent now on average. BUT, there's no touch pad or keyboard. Both inoperative ! They both work using the LiveCD with just pci=noacpi, but not after installing to hard drive. Figure that out. There's more. If I physically remove the battery (which holds zero charge anyway), and still using pci=noacpi boot parameter, mouse pad and keyboard work great. CPU usage still normal. What does that mean ? If I get a new battery at $41. would I expect the touch pad and keyboard to work then ?

BTW, Linux Puppy 5.3 boots up right out of the box. I'm checking that out now but at first look, security doesn't look too good. The command line is #: No root password ?

RDL