View Full Version : giving money to linux desktop

June 24th, 2006, 09:58 PM

So I want to give money to help make desktop linux better. Where should my money go?

I especially want to help with the apps/projects that I use and like the most. These are gnome, beagle, tomboy, deskbar, xgl/compiz, amarok, and evolution (this one especially has a ways to go...).

As for giving to specific things, is a central location for "bounties" that lets people to donate to them (so the most wanted things have the biggest bounties)? I've seen directories of bounties, but none let you give to the bounties.

June 24th, 2006, 10:06 PM
A lot of programs are on sourceforge.net and have a 'donate' like with each project homepage.

June 24th, 2006, 11:54 PM
You can make your own bounties, at least I know you can once you are on/have a project. Think of an idea then make a page for it and assign bounties its simple.

Whatever you do dont give money to evolution...they will laugh at you.....think your joking....then gladdly take your money shocked that anyone will pay them for it. If you wonder why I would say that look at the credits and you will understand....they have all the help they need.

June 24th, 2006, 11:57 PM
screenshot of the credits? I removed evolution and don't want to reinstall it to see hehe.

June 25th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Its made by Novell or Suse or whoever the hell they are now. The credit says Novell but I think that its just a division of another company now. Needless to say they have the cash....

June 25th, 2006, 01:09 AM
right...but novell also owns ximian, gives gnome its biggest push, and funds projects like xgl and mono if i'm not mistaking.

June 25th, 2006, 03:01 AM
I'd like to see more video capturing/editing/general video manipulation applications receive more funding.

And what about MythTV? An easier setup process? :)