PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] modifying drop shadows

doyleman
July 21st, 2012, 03:37 AM
Hello all. I've been trying to tinker with Ubuntu 12.04's drop shadow in the theme. I quickly found out that Compiz can only go to 18 on radius, and to give it more, you should go and modify the <shadow> xml tags in it's theme folder. I've pumped the number up to 48 (actually, i've tried 0, 12, 24, 36, and 48); all of which really give no change. It actually looks like Compiz still controls the shadows 100%, but I can't get it higher than 18. Anyone have this issue?

doyleman
July 21st, 2012, 11:56 PM
bump

doyleman
July 23rd, 2012, 03:24 AM
i'll bump again. no one has any thoughts / success...?

tahseen
July 23rd, 2012, 04:49 AM
Same here. I have been trying from a long time. I don't know why the Compiz developers are not reply to this question

I even wrote to the mail list.

Hope they have not hard coded this stuff. This is one question no one is able to revert to ever since Ubuntu 12.04 has been released.

doyleman
August 2nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
Well, I've read articles that modifying the xml file in the theme folder would work, but I seriously can't seem to tell any changes in 12.04. hopefully not. can anyone confirm/deny?

tahseen
August 3rd, 2012, 02:59 AM
I have done some modifications by editing metacity xml file and it does work.

But dropshadow doesn't. It seems dropshadows are controlled by Compiz only

Well, I've read articles that modifying the xml file in the theme folder would work, but I seriously can't seem to tell any changes in 12.04. hopefully not. can anyone confirm/deny?

javagreen
August 6th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Which file exactly are you editing? I'm looking to achieve the same result and knowing which file to edit is a good start ;)

tahseen
August 7th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Go inside /usr/share/themes
There are theme folders. Every theme folder has a metacity-1 folder.

Inside that folder there is a metacity-theme.xml file.

You can edit that with sudo vi

Once edited, logout and then login for the effect to take place or even compiz --replace though logout and login is better

Which file exactly are you editing? I'm looking to achieve the same result and knowing which file to edit is a good start ;)

javagreen
August 7th, 2012, 06:12 AM
The theme I want to edit has a metacity-theme-1.html and metacity-theme-3.xml :o

tahseen
August 7th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I have serious doubts that there is anything called metacity-theme.html

The theme I want to edit has a metacity-theme-1.html and metacity-theme-3.xml :o

javagreen
August 7th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I have serious doubts that there is anything called metacity-theme.html

Bugger, typed too fast and didn't even realize it. Yep, it's not html - it's xml, both the files.

:guitar:

I've looked at both xml files, they mostly contain stuff about window frame and buttons. I've attached both the xml files in a zip, can you please take a look and advice on where do I need to change to manipulate the drop shadows :)