PDA

View Full Version : Open source success story

cptrohn
July 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I work for a major media outlet and we had a VERY high priced mapping software that some of our people used.. (Arcview)

I mean this is priced in the thousands of dollars for a single license....

Well a couple of our uses had some hardware issues, we had to re-image their machines.. Getting the high priced software to re-install and be usable was nearly impossible due to the license manager it used...

Long story short I did some heavy research and found some very good Open Source alternatives to Arcview, that more than suits my users needs..... cost savings to our company? Close to $10k (usd) that we were looking to purchase new licenses and update the software....

Nice little feather in my cap in the bosses eyes, and they perk up and listen when I have an idea for an alternative to software solutions in the office....

Megaptera
July 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Well done! Thanks for sharing!

mips
July 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Mind sharing the names of said products?

Primefalcon
July 20th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Query: which open source map software did you use?

and nice going btw :D

wgarider
July 21st, 2012, 11:41 PM
I work for a major media outlet and we had a VERY high priced mapping software that some of our people used.. (Arcview)

I mean this is priced in the thousands of dollars for a single license....

Well a couple of our uses had some hardware issues, we had to re-image their machines.. Getting the high priced software to re-install and be usable was nearly impossible due to the license manager it used...

Long story short I did some heavy research and found some very good Open Source alternatives to Arcview, that more than suits my users needs..... cost savings to our company? Close to $10k (usd) that we were looking to purchase new licenses and update the software....

Nice little feather in my cap in the bosses eyes, and they perk up and listen when I have an idea for an alternative to software solutions in the office....

Nice job! My company uses that very application - now you have me thinking.........

codingman
July 22nd, 2012, 03:02 AM
Good job, open source is always the answer!

cptrohn
July 23rd, 2012, 01:48 AM
We ended up going with geoserver for the folks that asked!