PDA

View Full Version : Website idea (question about programming language)

luismgl
July 20th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Good day,

Recently I came up with an idea among friends for a website. And since none of use actually knows anything besides a bit of html and C, we though about hiring someone to code for us, or, all together learn a new language and code it ourselves.

The website is basically a private chatroom, and the login, would not be done by registration, but by invitation. I will explain exactly what I want with an example, it will be both easier to explain and to understand.

Person A wants person B to join the website. Person A talks to the Admin and gives him the username and email chosen by person B. The admin sends to person B a system generated password for him to access the website.

When a user wishes to login, he will see a simple page with only a password field. Upon entering the password, he will be logged in under the username he chose.

Inside the site, there will be nothing more than a chatroom, and a pop-up with the rules for new users. A link for the rules, is a good idea as well.

So basically my question, and considering all of this is, which programming language would be more adequate to complete this?

Thank you.

Primefalcon
July 20th, 2012, 07:00 PM
php+javascript could do this

BrokenKingpin
July 20th, 2012, 07:49 PM
PHP and MySql would for sure be the way to go. If you have any interest in programming or website creation I would say learn it yourself. PHP is a fairly approachable language, but you will still have to sink a good chunk of time into learning it, which will reduce the speed at which you get it out. Also, if you code it yourself, you won't have to pay anyone to come in for modification in the future.

azmyth
July 20th, 2012, 08:15 PM
You could look at hotscripts or one of those sites for a script that does part of what you want to do and then just modify to meet your needs.

For example,
http://www.zubrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=45.0

I would use php and mysql as well.

codingman
July 20th, 2012, 09:12 PM
PHP SQL and JavaScript, look into these. Of course, you may also use your HTML knowledge and CSS for a bit more, like a header and some designs using CSS. I never would've thought of the idea myself, but it's a good one. ;)

luismgl
July 21st, 2012, 10:02 PM
thanks for the suggestions guys :)
In the past, I though about learning php and ended up getting to know more about html, so now I might want to take the big leap.

kestrel1
July 21st, 2012, 10:08 PM
I would go with PHP & Mysql for the database.