PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] need to keep adding to KDE

godfreezone
July 20th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I'm trying Gnome environment.

I have two questions:

1. how do i configure update manager to stop making lists of KDE software for d.load?
2. does "1." show a misunderstanding of what an environment is?

Only tangentially related 3rd question:
I recently installed Synaptic.
so,
3. how do i configure synaptic to stop making lists of KDE software for d.load?

3Miro
July 20th, 2012, 01:45 PM
DE is a collection of applications that give you the desktop experience.

The update manager is a tool that looks for updates of ALL installed programs. So long as you have KDE installed, it will give you updates for KDE. Update software is not tied to the desktop environment.

In the same way, Synaptic gives a list of all packages that can be installed. Ubuntu (and Linux in general) does not distinguish between KDE apps and Gnome apps, in fact many of us are running one KDE app or another under Gnome.

Why do you want to remove the KDE apps from Synaptic, why is this a problem for you?

godfreezone
July 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM
DE is a collection of applications that give you the desktop experience.

The update manager is a tool that looks for updates of ALL installed programs. So long as you have KDE installed, it will give you updates for KDE. Update software is not tied to the desktop environment.

In the same way, Synaptic gives a list of all packages that can be installed. Ubuntu (and Linux in general) does not distinguish between KDE apps and Gnome apps, in fact many of us are running one KDE app or another under Gnome.

Why do you want to remove the KDE apps from Synaptic, why is this a problem for you?

Thanks. This helps me understand much better what is going on.
I only wanted to know if, having made a choice for one DE over another, over all others, that this meant you shouldn't keep updating to those others. But you have cleared up that misunderstanding.
Godfree