PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 fresh install refused my password saying it's too simple

Mesquire
July 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I initially installed 12.04 from Windows using WUBI and it accepted my password.

Now on a fresh installation on a different computer, it refused to let me use the same password saying it's too simple, even though it fits all the necessary requirements outlined in documents - minimum 6 characters of letters and numbers.

The same password is being used on another computer running 10.10 (fresh install).

Why the same password is ok on 10.10 and 12.04 from WUBI?

critin
July 20th, 2012, 05:36 PM
It refuses by absolutely not letting you log in after it's been set up? Or is it saying this in the initial set up? My password is 5 letters on all distro versions. It always says in set up that it's too short, but allows me to go on.

I am NOT using wubi, which may have different rules.

Mesquire
July 24th, 2012, 02:32 PM
My apologies for the confusion.

I burned a CD with the downloaded 32bit ISO then ran the CD to install but setup won't let me install with a 6 character password.

I completed the installation using a 8 character password.

I tried changing password to the one I want to use after install but still return the same message.

Grenage
July 24th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I am guessing that the later version has more stringent requirements; you can bypass this with:

sudo passwd username

Although a decent password is recommended.

mc4man
July 24th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Have not seen any sign yet that the first user set up in the installer has any restrictions on password (have recent 12.04 & 12.10 installs.
This laptop I'm on now has no need for a 'strong' password, am using 1 as password, the installer will say it's "Too short" but will not reject

Grenage
July 24th, 2012, 03:06 PM
the installer will say it's "Too short" but will not reject

I get the same thing as the OP, it tells me that it's not acceptable.

mc4man
July 24th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I get the same thing as the OP, it tells me that it's not acceptable.
Hmm, still don't see any restrictions on the installer
New 12.04 - see screen, didn't 'like' the short password but accepted in the confirm box anyway, (green arrow

critin
July 24th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Now on a fresh installationSo this install is not Wubi? It is in its own partition? Are you in fact using ubuntu? Is 'simple' the word it used?

the same password saying it's too simple,

I've only seen it use the word 'short' on ubuntu.

I don't remember the other versions of linux, but ubuntu of any version has never been that particular for me.

Windows has strict PW rules, so I thought Wubi might be affected there, but apparently not.

Grenage
July 25th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Hmm, still don't see any restrictions on the installer
New 12.04 - see screen, didn't 'like' the short password but accepted in the confirm box anyway, (green arrow

Hi, MC. sorry, crossed wires there. I was initially referring to:

I tried changing password to the one I want to use after install but still return the same message

I don't have install media to hand for a test, but I don't doubt that you're right regarding initial setup.