PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Softmaker Office 2010 Linux Gui fonts

wah fun
July 20th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Hi,
I have just installed xubuntu 12.04 and everything looks good for me execpt that I am using Softmaker Office 2010 for linux and the gui fonts look very scratchy. I have been using this software in an rpm distribution and the gui fonts look very clean. I have set the options in Softmaker Office to use the linux system colors. I have tried the other settings available and none seem to help. Then I thought it might be a qt program so I installed qt4-conf to get QT4 Settings. This didn't help. So, that brought me here to ask for help as a google search found nothing.

If anyone has any experience with Softmaker Office 2010 for linux and could tell me how to get the better font rendering, I would so appreciate it.

thx

wah fun
July 21st, 2012, 02:30 AM
More info on this. Out of curiosity I installed Vector Linux (slackware based) and the gui fonts as well as the documents fonts are nice and clean. In the softmaker office options I discovered a slight difference. In Vector there is one additional appearance setting (use linux system colors) that doesn't appear in the options on the xubuntu install.

NOTE: the softmaker appearance option allows the user to pick from several different themes for the gui ranging from windows 95 through windows 7 and one option (on xubuntu) to select linux grey. On Vector, the additional option is the linux system colors.

wah fun
August 17th, 2012, 01:22 PM
No one using this program or know why this is happening?

thx

cottfcfan
August 17th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I installed Softmaker office yesterday, the new beta, and the font rendering was so awful, that after a few minutes i uninstalled it.
I know this doesn't help, but at least you're not the only one.

Closetheloop
October 29th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I am using a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04.01. I have the Unity Desktop and I first installed the server version and then added the Desktop with

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop

I have also installed Softmaker Office 2012 for Linux and it all works perfectly. The fonts look great and I am happy...:)

Dig

cottfcfan
October 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM
That's because this thread is 10 weeks old & Softmaker is now out of Beta. The fonts are fine now.
I'm still not sure how softmaker is anymore beneficial than LibreOffice though.

Closetheloop
October 29th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Well I'm aware that Libreoffice has been developed over many years by lots of generous people. However I am not sure that it always reliably reads and writes .docx etc

Given that .docx etc from MS Office 2007 onward seems pretty pervasive I thought I'd use Softmaker Office 2012 because they specifically say that they read and write those MS formats. Also the program layout and workflow is nice and solid as well.

As a commercial organisation it is in Softmaker's interest to ensure they work seamlessly with MS formats...

So far it is looking good...

cybergalvez
October 29th, 2012, 04:01 PM
It looks like libreoffice repackaged? Am I missing something? Dn't get me wrong I totally get the comercicial support ect issues, but it really doesn't look like a new office suite

Closetheloop
October 29th, 2012, 05:50 PM
No its totally different from LibreOffice. I reckon its fairly similar to the pre MS Office pre the 2007 makeover i.e. it does not have complicated bloatware that nobody uses...

It runs as an exe program in its own space but I don't mind that...just need a suite that is easy to use and not overloaded with options. Functional and fast...so far this seems to tick the boxes.