PDA

View Full Version : New To Linux, Using C++

flossy12
July 20th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Hello!

I just got my Ubuntu 12.04 up and running for the first time!

I've been using CodeBlocks when running Windows 7.

I am just curious for any input into how fellow C++ coders are doing on Linux?

Favourite IDE's? Is CodeBlocks good on Linux? Any general C++ related linux tips are very much welcomed!

Thanks!

nikonian
July 20th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Hello!

I just got my Ubuntu 12.04 up and running for the first time!

I've been using CodeBlocks when running Windows 7.

I am just curious for any input into how fellow C++ coders are doing on Linux?

Favourite IDE's? Is CodeBlocks good on Linux? Any general C++ related linux tips are very much welcomed!

Thanks!

Eclipse is the best!

SirWhy
July 20th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I also use code::blocks. Like you I used it on Windows 7 and was just used to it.

Code::Blocks is pretty much the same on Linux as it is on Windows. At least with my experience

Hetepeperfan
July 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Hi I personally like vim the best. Although as starter you might give a first shot at gvim since it is a bit user friendlier to start with and comes with a gui. It has pretty much everything one could desire although some things require to browse through the manual or require a bit of help from the www.
If you ever want to edit files over a network, not on your own computer it's really handy to use vim and with X tunneling through ssh you can still use gvim, but it's to slow for my liking.

cheers

hakermania
July 20th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Huh, too many different opinions!

I use the QtCreator IDE(click to see in Ubuntu Software Center (apt://qtcreator)) and, along with a friend of mine, we have developed (and currently developing) Wallch (click to see in Ubuntu Software Center (apt://wallch)) and Format Junkie (launchpad (https://launchpad.net/format-junkie)). The latter is for the ubuntu showdown contest and it isn't into the Ubuntu Software Center yet (link (https://myapps.developer.ubuntu.com/dev/apps/1303/)).

I highly recommend Qt, because it has an infinite number of libraries that will help you a lot with what you want to do, but, in case you are very new to programming, then go for something less heavy, like Gedit.

trent.josephsen
July 20th, 2012, 02:47 PM
(I'm not a C++ guy, except where C++ and C intersect.)

It really depends on your level of expertise and the complexity of the programs you make.

People with Windows-based programming experience sometimes don't realize that an IDE is an optional extra. IDEs can speed up the design-implement-test cycle sometimes, but they do so at the cost of shielding the programmer from the toolchain. If you've only ever programmed in CodeBlocks on Windows, I'd advise you to leave the IDE behind for a while, find an editor you like, and learn how to compile things from a shell. Learn to write Makefiles too.

N0oki3
July 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Hello. In windows 7 I have used bloodshed's Dev c++, but in linux I use as people said QtCreator and Eclipse