PDA

View Full Version : [edubuntu] Missing many links in new edubuntu installation

Costas100
July 19th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I just installed Edubuntu 12.04 on a new Notebook side by side with Windows 7. The installation took a very long time (as compared to numerous earlier installations I performed for my self and Friends over the last few years).
But the big problem appeared after the end of the installation, when I discovered that the links which are normally under the Menu heading System, some have disappeared and some changed home. In fact there is no menu heading as "System". Some were found under Applications/Administration and Preferences and others have disappeared. Among those that disappeared are:
1. Language support add or remove a language
2. Add new language keyboard
3. Network and Sound links that were in similar installation under System/Preferences.
4. Software sources and even synaptic package manager.
5. Printing link
6. And I am sure many more.

In the last hour or so the computer has been going in to a major download and install of numerous software and wish to hope for a reappearance of the missing links when this download and install is over.

Since the possibility exists that I will delete or replace this version of Edubuntu, I have a couple of questions:

1. My new computer is a Lenovo Notebook with 500 GB HD, 4 GB RAM and the Windows partition works fine. If I decide to delete the latest edubuntu, what is the proper way to do it?

2. If I decide to replace it, can you recommend an alternative Ubuntu, Edubuntu, etc that will give me the least troubles. My 7 years old Grand daughter will also be using this new computer.

Thank you all in the Ubuntu team

Costas

Costas100
July 20th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately after the long update the missing links did not appear, so I had no other reasonable choice but to replace Edubuntu 12.04.

Finally I decided to replace edubuntu 12.04 with Ubuntu 11.04 which I also have installed in another computer and I am very happy with it. I had to struggle a bit to remove Unity and at the moment everything is working fine. Consider this thread solved and closed.

Costas