PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] simple question

rockprincess
July 19th, 2012, 01:01 PM
hi there,

i have a simple question, I just set up my new laptop with kubuntu 12.04 and installed the gcc.

a few weeks ago i wrote some simple c code for school, which I was able to run on the old laptop just fine.

now I have problems executing those files, saying I don't have enough permissions.

theresa@kubuntu:~/c$ ls -lha musik.c
-rwxrwxrwx 1 theresa theresa 349 Dez 25 2011 musik.c

here's the code snippet that i'm trying to run (see it's very simple)

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
printf("****** Meine Musiktitel ******\n\n");

printf("N = Neuen Eintrag hinzufügen \n");
printf("L = Eintrag löschen \n");
printf("F = Musiktitel finden \n");
printf("A = Alle Einträge anzeigen \n");
printf("B = Programm beenden \n\n");

printf("Ihre Wahl:");

printf("\n\n");
return 0;
}

When I try to run it by ./musik
I'm getting a "can't execute this file."

earlier i did a gcc -o musik.c musik

this works fine on the old machine.

Lars Noodén
July 19th, 2012, 01:09 PM
musik.c is the source code, it will not run itself but can be compiled using gcc into music. It is the output of gcc that you want to pay attention to and to try to run, not the input (source code).

rockprincess
July 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
musik.c is the source code, it will not run itself but can be compiled using gcc into music. It is the output of gcc that you want to pay attention to and to try to run, not the input (source code).

sorry, this was a typo, I meant I was trying to run ./musik

I still get the same error... :(

trent.josephsen
July 19th, 2012, 01:23 PM
If you really did

gcc -o musik.c musik

you should have gotten an error, or musik.c should have been clobbered, or both. The argument following -o is the output file.

rockprincess
July 19th, 2012, 01:26 PM
If you really did

gcc -o musik.c musik

you should have gotten an error, or musik.c should have been clobbered, or both. The argument following -o is the output file.

i didn't get an error....

should then the correct syntax be?

gcc -c musik.c -o musik

sudodus
July 19th, 2012, 01:45 PM
If you run
gcc -o musik musik.c the output file (that is the executable file) is musik.

Then it works when you run ./musik in the same directory (or if you move it to a directory in your path) you can run musik.

It will work wherever you have compatible libraries (unless you compile it including the libraries into the program code).

rockprincess
July 19th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Ok, I get tons of error messages (unfortunately there are only in german, so I won't post them here)....roughly translated they mean

musik.c:18:582: Warning: Zero-Sign ignored (activated by default)

Could it be that I'm missing some important libraries? Because it's working without any problem on the other machine.

sudodus
July 19th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Ok, I get tons of error messages (unfortunately there are only in german, so I won't post them here)....roughly translated they mean

musik.c:18:582: Warning: Zero-Sign ignored (activated by default)

Could it be that I'm missing some important libraries? Because it's working without any problem on the other machine.

I think you may have different versions of the libraries. But what happens if you recompile from your source code? Or is your error output from when you compile from the source code?

rockprincess
July 19th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I think you may have different versions of the libraries. But what happens if you recompile from your source code? Or is your error output from when you compile from the source code?

yeah, it's the error output when i run
gcc -o musik musik.c

sudodus
July 19th, 2012, 02:35 PM
yeah, it's the error output when i run
gcc -o musik musik.c

It works for me without warning messages.

$ gcc -o musik musik.c
$ ./musik
****** Meine Musiktitel ******

N = Neuen Eintrag hinzufügen
L = Eintrag löschen
F = Musiktitel finden
A = Alle Einträge anzeigen
B = Programm beenden

Ihre Wahl:
Can you run the program afterwards? (If only warning messages, it might be possible to run the program. Error messages will probably stop the compile and link process.)

sudodus
July 19th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Which version and flavour of Ubuntu are you running? And which version of gcc? Run the following commands and post the output in a reply

lsb_release -a

uname -a

gcc -v

sudodus
July 19th, 2012, 02:52 PM
If you really did

gcc -o musik.c musik

+1
Have you checked that the source file musik.c is OK? Maybe you have added some garbage to it? In that case, start with a clean source file :-)

trent.josephsen
July 19th, 2012, 03:32 PM
sudodus has explained what the -o does, but I thought I'd just add that gcc is notoriously finicky about the order of its arguments, and sometimes the same invocation doesn't work exactly the same way even from one release to the next. I don't know whether or not this affects your invocation. FWIW, make puts the -o musik at the end, like so:

cc musik.c -o musik

rockprincess
July 19th, 2012, 08:11 PM
lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise

Linux concave 3.5.0-5-generic #5-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 18 07:35:23 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Es werden eingebaute Spezifikationen verwendet.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/lto-wrapper
Ziel: x86_64-linux-gnu
Konfiguriert mit: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.6/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-4.6 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.6 --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-plugin --enable-objc-gc --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread-Modell: posix
gcc-Version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)

rockprincess
July 19th, 2012, 08:14 PM
+1
Have you checked that the source file musik.c is OK? Maybe you have added some garbage to it? In that case, start with a clean source file :-)

HOLY SMOKES!!!
you are right! :-O

source file looked totally messed up, last time i checked it looked ok.

Sorry to all for wasting your time :(

sudodus
July 19th, 2012, 08:18 PM
No worries,

We are here to help :-)

rockprincess
July 19th, 2012, 08:31 PM
on the bright side, i have learned an important lesson.
always check the source file first ;)