PDA

View Full Version : Apple's ordered to run ads in UK admitting that Samsung didn't copy the iPad

HappinessNow
July 19th, 2012, 10:02 AM
The order was made by Judge Colin Birss yesterday after Apple's response to his ruling a week earlier that Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10 didn't infringe Apple's design patents.

After that decision, Apple released a statement.

"It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging," said Apple.

"This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

Well, no judge likes to have his verdict disrespected like that, and Birss certainly has form when it comes to ritual humiliation. When making his original ruling, he said the reason Samsung's device couldn't be confused with the iPad was its 'almost insubstantial' thinness, and fiddly detail on the back.

"They are not as cool," he said.

Now, he wants Apple to run ads pointing to his High Court ruling, as well as posting a notice on its website for six months.

http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law-features/64797-apple-ordered-to-make-public-climbdown-over-galaxy-tab-claims

Looks like Apple royally messed up, on this one.

Lightstar
July 19th, 2012, 12:24 PM
yay!

leclerc65
July 19th, 2012, 04:37 PM
A lesson for those who push stupidity to the limit. Not because you have money that you can do anything you want.

jockyburns
July 19th, 2012, 04:48 PM
What I can't understand with Apple though is ,,, claiming intellectual rights on a rectangle. Watch out , next week they'll be taking the manufacturers of A4 sized photocopier paper to court. :):):):)

thatguruguy
July 19th, 2012, 04:50 PM
That's just funny.

Grenage
July 19th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I can only assume that the Judge's statement of "not as cool" is one hell of a paraphrasing; otherwise it was either very witty, or incredibly dim.

Paqman
July 19th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Lol. I can hear the teeth grinding in Cupertino from here.

KiwiNZ
July 19th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Whilst I totally agree with the court ruling with regards to any design or patent infringement, this decision in my opinion damages the reputation of the Court.

MG&TL
July 19th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Whilst I totally agree with the court ruling with regards to any design or patent infringement, this decision in my opinion damages the reputation of the Court.

For those who don't keep up with this as much as others, would you care to elaborate on reputation-damaging part?

Paqman
July 19th, 2012, 10:13 PM
this decision in my opinion damages the reputation of the Court.

How so? Looks to me like the court have reserved an extra can of whupp-*** for those who aren't showing it proper respect.

What damages the reputation of the court is people who bring frivolous suits before it and force it to rule on trivia, as if it had nothing better to do.

t0p
July 20th, 2012, 02:16 AM
As someone mentioned above, no judge likes to hear his judgements criticised. If you don't like what the judge has said, you appeal. If you really want to whine and moan right away, get your lawyers to couch it in legalese.

I think Briss is looking good here. First he used the word "cool" in a non-temperature context, now he's hit Apple in a way that's really gonna pile on the humiliation. And maybe, just maybe, he's hinting that he doesn't like all the frivolous intellectual property claims being made by the tech companies?

ugm6hr
July 21st, 2012, 09:06 AM
I think Briss is looking good here. First he used the word "cool" in a non-temperature context, now he's hit Apple in a way that's really gonna pile on the humiliation. And maybe, just maybe, he's hinting that he doesn't like all the frivolous intellectual property claims being made by the tech companies?

I think he's actually just trying to have Apple respect the court's decision. Clearly one option was to fine them, but this actually is a more appropriate action.

If any paper prints untruths, it is normal for them to print a withdrawal when challenged. This request from the court seems to be the equivalent in a case that has great media interest and impact. Kudos to the judge for thinking outside the box.

kurt18947
July 21st, 2012, 03:23 PM
As someone mentioned above, no judge likes to hear his judgements criticised. If you don't like what the judge has said, you appeal. If you really want to whine and moan right away, get your lawyers to couch it in legalese.

THAT would be refreshing. And to someone like Apple or Microsoft to whom 7 digit fines are pocket change, being forced to eat Crow publicly might well be more effective.

forrestcupp
July 21st, 2012, 03:38 PM
Wow. If Apple is really forced to release ads in the UK admitting that, it will be an international ticket for Samsung. They'll be able to take those Apple ads in any court in the world showing that Apple admitted they didn't infringe on their patents, and be let off the hook anywhere.

Maybe they'll appeal in the US after obtaining this evidence.

vasa1
July 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM
For those who don't keep up with this as much as others, would you care to elaborate on reputation-damaging part?

This: "This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

Apple totally destroys the reputation of the court with this comment. Good to see the judge taking steps to protect the reputation of the court.

MG&TL
July 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM
This: "This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

Apple totally destroys the reputation of the court with this comment. Good to see the judge taking steps to protect the reputation of the court.

Ahh...okay.

I can't see an advert on their site yet though... :)

Elfy
July 21st, 2012, 05:28 PM
If you want the real deal - the judgement is here http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/samsung-apple.pdf

But - if you read the BBC page for this story then "The order did not feature in Judge Colin Birss's judgement published on 9 July, but Bloomberg said the matter was discussed in the court following the verdict."

so you'll not find any reference to it in there I assume.

bobsan
July 21st, 2012, 05:31 PM
Good public spanking. :)

BTW, here is what Steve Jobs said about 'stealing' when he was doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

The guy had no credibility when he said that he would go thermonuclear to destroy Android because it is a "stolen product".

alan21276
July 21st, 2012, 05:38 PM
I can see Apple refusing to do this.

What would happen then?

Would they just have a non-compliance fine issued? Which would suit them with their deep pockets.

Personally I'm rather enjoying Apple digging their own grave with all these law suits for copyright infringement......it will come back to bite them.

vasa1
July 21st, 2012, 05:44 PM
If you want the real deal - the judgement is here http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/samsung-apple.pdf
From there: Mr Ball said the Apple design was strictly rectangular rather than just generally rectangular.

This is going to haunt me for a while ;)

Edit:

The informed user’s overall impression of each of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets is the
following. From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design;
but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family
with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme
simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool. The overall
impression produced is different.

There's quite a lot of reference to "the informed user".

The Cog
July 21st, 2012, 05:50 PM

It seems to me that as Samsung didn't copy, this is libel. And since it received wide publicity, it is only fair that a retraction of that libel be given equal publicity.

vasa1
July 21st, 2012, 06:13 PM

The guy had no credibility when he said that he would go thermonuclear to destroy Android because it is a "stolen product".

Bookmarked that video. Thanks!

HappinessNow
July 29th, 2012, 06:21 AM

They should show this video at every patent infringement, intellectual property rights case.

The greatest thief is upset that someone might steal his stolen goods.

Maybe Apple's logo should be a Jolly Roger?

t0p
July 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Maybe Apple's logo should be a Jolly Roger?

Yeah, then thepiratebay.se or someone similar could sue Apple for copyright infringement! ROFL!!!

leclerc65
July 30th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Interesting read:

Apple Stole iPhone Design From Sony, Patented It And Sued Everyone Else

Muktware (http://www.muktware.com/4029/apple-stole-iphone-design-sony-patented-it-and-sued-everyone-else)

xedi
July 30th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Is it an Apple design with a Sony logo on it and inspired by Sony or is it really an original Sony design?

xedi
July 30th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I think I found the answer myself: http://allthingsd.com/20120726/apples-iphone-has-sony-style-says-samsung/

Those pictures are not a "sony phone" as muktware describes them but Apple designs based on a Sony design.