PDA

View Full Version : Time limit on editing posts?

forrestcupp
July 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Why is there a time limit on when you can edit your posts? I was looking at some threads that I started, and I noticed that I can edit my original posts from threads started 3 days ago, but not ones started a week ago.

In my opinion, it would be beneficial to be able to always add more information to the first post in a thread. An example would be a thread someone starts for a tutorial or HowTo. A few weeks later, someone may add some knowledge to the thread to enhance the HowTo, but it's already too late to edit it in. A month later, some functionality might change, but it won't be editable. I know it's possible to have an admin or mod edit something in, but it just seems like this shouldn't even be an issue.

I know you're probably going to come back and tell me all your reasoning on why we shouldn't be able to edit old posts. But if there is any possible way, it would be nice to at least edit the original post of a thread.

Here are a couple of real examples:

My HowTo on associating files with PlayOnLinux installed Office (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1940522). The thread was started March of this year. I spent a lot of time researching it and writing the HowTo. Two weeks ago, someone posted some better code, which could cut way back on the amount of work you have to do. But I can't edit it into the HowTo. I don't care whether someone does it for me or not; I just think I should be able to modify what I wrote.

Colo2's Banjo-Vie video thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1965136). You guys insist on merging all of his separate threads on his different videos that he wants to share with us, but he's unable to edit them into the original post to keep them from being hidden somewhere within the thread. It looks like he's probably going to have a bunch of videos, so that means you guys are going to have to keep going back in there to edit the post for him.

Doesn't it just make sense to save yourselves some work and let us edit our own original posts?

QIII
July 17th, 2012, 11:45 PM
For good or ill, the decision is made.

I moved my How Tos to the Wikis and asked the Admins to add a message at the top of the OP directing posters to the associated Wiki.

I expect one of them will come along shortly and repeat what they have said for dozens of other posts like this.

wildmanne39
July 18th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Hi forrestcupp, the short answer is that all howto's are going to be converted to wiki's here is a link on the subject.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1949027
we are asking that the person who created the howto's to help with the conversion and maintainging the wiki but it is up to each person if they want too.

This takes the need away to edit the howto's.

The reason behind not being able to edit posts after a week is that accounts are being created with what looks like normal posts and then a week later coming back and editing to turn it into spam.

The staff want you to know that these decisions have not been made lightly and that we appreciate all the hard work each person has put into creating and maintaining there howto's.

After the howto's have been converted there will be a discussion thread created in T&T on the subject and we hope that you and other community members will continue to support your howto's on the wiki by helping to keep it updated and you can still answer questions in the support forums on the subject matter.
Thanks

Elfy
July 18th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Spammers forrestcup -

[22:03] <s-fox> do you know why the limit was set on posts?
[22:03] <Favux> No problem. Glad you gave me the opportunity.
[22:04] <Favux> Not sure although I think I've now read a fair amount.
[22:04] <s-fox> okay, i will give you a quick version :)
[22:05] <Favux> Fire away.
[22:05] <s-fox> we are a very large forums and are a prime target for spam. we have had numerous situations where a bot will register and post seemingly innocent posts and then edit later with spam content. it sly and is generally unnoticed. the limit doesn't eradicate the problem, but it does cut down a lot on the clean up work afterwards
[22:06] <Favux> I thought I read a new version of vbulletin should handle that problem. Once the unified sign up issue was taken care of.

The thread to wiki project is a seperate thing and it is best to keep them as such.

forrestcupp
July 18th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Well, if it's actually saving more moderation work than it is creating, I can understand the decision. It's still a pain in the backside for people who are legitimate. Spammers ruin a lot of things for a lot of people.

Thanks for the response.

Elfy
July 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Well, if it's actually saving more moderation work than it is creating, I can understand the decision. It's still a pain in the backside for people who are legitimate. Spammers ruin a lot of things for a lot of people.

Thanks for the response.

Indeed.

None of these things we've done have we done happily. But they have saved enormous amounts of time - I've only spent about 3 hours so far this week on spam bans - believe me when I say it was a lot longer beforehand.

Thanks for understanding.

Iowan
July 20th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Spammers ruin a lot of things for a lot of people.
There's an understatement!
Almost signature-worthy. :D

newb85
August 24th, 2012, 05:55 PM
The posting rules read:

You may edit your posts.
This should probably be clarified. It could be a source of frustration to those who aren't aware of the limit. (At least it was for me.)

CharlesA
August 25th, 2012, 11:52 AM
The posting rules read:

This should probably be clarified. It could be a source of frustration to those who aren't aware of the limit. (At least it was for me.)

That is a Vbulletin thing, and is shown regardless if edit limits are set or not.